Modelling a wheel problem

Hallo im following the "Complete Vehicle Production in Blender ". Ive got problems with my wheel. any ideas how i can solve this. . The wheel is bigger on the right side. But when i turn of my array it looks ok.Is it a problem with the original treads or a problem with a modifer or the curve? here is blend file question1.blend (449.3 KB)

lisa

it,s because of the curve , make the curv falt on the x axies , and it should fix it,
the curve isnt alignd in one line ,si something you intendedly ?

Hello,

Excellent job so far, have looked at your file and there are a few little issues.

1. The circle has been rotated to fractional degrees. Try X= 90, Y= 0 and Z= -90
  2. The tread mesh has some loose vertices
  3. The tread mesh origin is off centre so not aligned with the circle
  4. The tread also has some fractional degrees, it has also been rotated in edit mode, therefore it is no longer straight so does not merge correctly
  5. The subsurf modifier has curved the bottom edges so merge will not work correctly even if issue 4. is resolved.

These are little things so do not be disheartened. I have attached a partially fixed tyre.
Tyre2.blend (331.9 KB)

Myself I would go back to the un-subsurfed model and fix the problems there.

My mantra with arrays is never ever modify rotation or scale in Object mode always use edit mode.

Sorry for the long post.

Regards,

Pixeltwister

P.s here is thread which I contributed to that uses an Empty not a Circle. Just another way of doing things.

Thank u for the replys and Pixeltwist thank you for the full description of whats wrong. I went over the thread you added and i think by looking at it that tires is a really difficult achievment for me. i am not yet good enough at this. I tried your suggestions but its difficult to get my head around all the steps. But i have tried. Is it ok if i use the bllendfile of the partilly fixed tire so i can continue with my project. Otherwise im worride it might take me monthes to work this out.
BTW, i dont know if you know but many of the pages on the thread you suggested have gone.

lisa

Apologies for that thread having missing pages. It is old like me.

I beg do differ you are good enough, your work so far is very good. If you need me to explain and
help to fix some of my suggestions I am happy to do so. Do you have a copy of the tread mesh before it was subdivided?

The file is yours I just changed some rotations and locations you are more than welcome to use it.

Can understand your frustration and sometimes doing something different then revisit helps.
if you wish to work on it further later just let me know.

Regards

P.

i have learned tire modeling from this blender guru video,its quite old now but still good.

and his rim making tutorial

it was helpfull for me,maybe for you too.

For some reason I really want to help you resolve your issue.
A model before you applied the subdivision modifier would really make it easier to resolve.

Have spent a little more time trying to correct the issues that applying a subdivision modifier caused.
Tyre3.blend (327.8 KB)

The model is still not manifold after the Array merge but close enough for now. Also the curves in the tyre wall have become too linear which looks odd.
Anyway hope you continue with this.

Regards

Pixeltwister

Hallo Pixeltwist.

It would be great if you could help. here i upload a tyre without the sub divsion. ihope it what you mean. experiment 1.blend (1.0 MB)

lisa

Hello lisabiziou,

Unfortunately the file uploaded has the tread mesh after subdivision aswell.

Here is another better looking tyre. Increasing the Bezier Circle resolution smoothes out the rim.
Tyre4.blend (324.7 KB)

I am putting together a simpler example to visually show what has happened and how to avoid it in the future.
Will also add some tips for you to this thread. Am fairly busy today but should have upload tomorrow.

Keep up the good work.

P.

P.s I went through all the issues you are experiencing when I first started so do not think it is just you :smiley:

Hello lisabiziou,

Below I have uploaded a file which I hope explains the Subdivision issue.
BA_Answer_Tyre_Section.blend (408.2 KB)

This file shows a section of your model simplified. On the left a Top Orthographic view is displayed.
On the right the same mesh shown from a different angle.

In the modifier panel you will see a Subdivision Surface modifier in the stack. Click the Eye next to the camera icon, this dispays the modifier result in the 3D view.

Notice the corners at the bottom curve in? also the mesh density has quadrupled? Now click apply. The mesh now has a permanent curve, I think this has happened to your model? To resolve the problem now is difficult due to the way the Array Modifier merge function operates.

My next post will show how this section fits into the whole tyre and a further explanation of how the Array merge function operates, this is key to understanding why applying the Subdivision Surface modifier has made this a more difficult problem to resolve…

Hope this makes sense? if not please do not hesitate to ask questions.

Kindest Regards,

P.

Hallo pixel twist

sorry for the late reply. I have looked at the file and think i understand the problem. I am very curious to know the solution with the array modifer, or is it a impossible task?. Should i have started from scrape?

lisa

This is where non manifold comes from.
http://pasteall.org/pic/7b00e09fad53106e7d858094abd1f7f0
Pardon my interrupt.

Thank you for pointing this out. it is a part of the mesh i had alot of problems with. I will check if its still there and try to correct.

lisa

There were 2 small outstanding (can not think of a better therm) triangular faces, one missing small tri face, one naked edge and some stray vertices which were pointed out previously.

Selected in image loops are present in @pixeltwist Tyre4.blend file, so…

Blender in edit mode has menu Select ->Select All by Trait -> Non Manifold (and more here) which will select such suspicious things - you just have to figure what’s exactly wrong.
NonManifold selecting outer rim (verts, edges) is ok though - you get it on subdivided plane even.

Could not resist some face shifting in your original post: had to delete half of the tire segment mirror, shift, stitch a copy of one side instead. So you have another slightly different tire now ;).
http://pasteall.org/blend/index.php?id=50140