Modelling advice for new Blender user!

Hello all,

I have just began using Blender and I love it! Don’t get me wrong, there are lots of moments where I nearly throw my laptop through the window, but I’m still enjoying learning how to use it.
I would like some advice on the attached model. Its via one of those tutorials I probably shouldn’t have started (should’ve stuck to the yellow submarine!) and its been quite a learning curve.
Talking of ‘curves’, how would I go about making my edges less straight and jagged? I have seen work with some beautiful topography with hardy any straight lines or corners at all? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also, what advice would you give someone who gets easily frustrated by seemingly complicated software?

Cheers,

Buk

P.s. If you think this one is bad, you should have seen my previous two attempts!

Attachments

Maybe proportional editing? Just press O, then G and scroll your mouse to see the circle. Hope this helps.

I remember feeling the way you do.
The software is not really that complicated, and what you are using it for is what it is designed to do at its core.
Good luck.

Well, I have to disagree. It’s pretty complicated, strictly speaking. You can do a great many things with it, from making movies and editing them, to making complete games, and everything in between. I’d say that’s a fairly complicated program. That’s not a bad thing - not everything can be simple.

Thanks a lot for the swift replies! I’ll play around with proportional editing and see what happens. 95% of issues I’m facing seems to stem from lack of experience with the program and the more I try, the more I’ll learn. Its great having places like this to research; i guess its the advantage of Open Source programs.

Thanks,

Buk

Here is my next attempt:

If you have the time, let me know what I could have done better.

Cheers,

Buk

Attachments

A good improvement on your first pic but you have to try and think about edge loops & edge flow as you build the model rather than later, there are lots of good head modelling tutorials out there and they don’t have to be blender specific if you know your way around the interface.