Modelling copyrighted characters

I have searched but i found a lot of stuff on how to copyright your own work, but non tor this question:
If i model some characters (es batman, mickey mouse or some cartoon character) do go against law?
What about modelling someting like that and posting it here (ex at the weekend challenge…).
Thaks, also i fomeone can show me some previous thread…

Theres certainly no problem as long as you don’t use the model for finacial gain, or for any corporate use. No one is going to sue you for making batman for a modeling contest.

There are some allowances for “fair use”. Just because you aren’t making a profit does not automatically allow you to do anything.

Fair use typically comes under: reviews, academic research (to a point), fan sites, and news.

If you want to draw Mickey Mouse, that is ok. If you want to use images of Mickey Mouse on your website to review the latest Disney movie, that is ok. If you want to use your personal drawing of Mickey Mouse as your website mascot, that is a violation. If you want to make 3D Blender versions of Mickey Mouse that are identified as “my attempt at getting close to Disney’s MM”, that is ok as long as you don’t bring harm to Disney by getting too much publicity or embarassing the brand name that they’ve developed.

Big companies usually don’t go after an invidual unless the person gets too much publicity. The first step would be a “cease and desist order” from a large law firm.

If it’s for your portfolio it would be alright, also. Demo reels/portfolios are covered by copyright laws, as long as you don’t try to make people think that Mickey Mouse was your idea in the first place.

I would like to get some of my stuff copyrighted. Is there an easy way to do this?

Hmm…
Is this what you’re looking for? :slight_smile:

“I would like to get some of my stuff copyrighted.”

Just creating the work gives you the copyright.

This post that I am typing right now, is actually copyrighted by me.

At least in the US, just creating the work gives you a copyright for it.

Now, you can also “register” the copyright somewhere and it gives you some extra benifits in court and legal action, but for the most part, you can claim copyright on anything you create just because you created it.

Enjoy :slight_smile:

Modeling famous character isn’t illigal. Using them for games, comercial things, wallpaper (the ones outside home) flyers is against it (illigal)

I even heard from 3D artist from japan and china, that the real 3D babes rendered for games or fun have to get an ID like it’s a real human, because otherwise people use those realistic character for false indentification of bankrobbings or another underground projects. :stuck_out_tongue: So you modeled a realistic human and going to give it away, well give it a real ID or they mis use your work :smiley:

ok, so say i make some images and put them on my website. Can I put at the bottom of the page copyright © “my name” date? Can I do that without first getting an official patent?

Yes.
Patents are for inventions.
If you pay to ‘register’ the copyright or trademark the image, you could put the other symbols on the page.

Just because it isn’t illegal doesn’t mean it will be easy of course. I’m not even going to show you my recent attempt at Dogbert.

I’d like to give those who are considering to model existing characters
for their own benefit (portfolio use) a word of advice:

DO NOT USE copyrighted characters in your portfolio when seeking
employment unless you where a part of the real thing (movies/cartoons
produced for the copyright holders) OR unless you have
an absolutely BREATH-taking version and are planning to display
this for the actual copyright holder…

Because:

1. If your model is so-so or bad - it will be ridiculed, noone likes to
    be remembered as a “Johnny-cut-corners” half-assed modeller,
    and belive me - these people remember…especially if you become the
    laugh of the people who do work at your favourite company (I’m not kidding here!)

2. There’s a bigger chance to be accepted even if your modelling
    skills are lesser than average - IF - you come up with something new
    and it’s original. That way - less faults will be on display (because it’s
    your model…and only you know it, right?) and it’s new.

3. Respect! You did it, not a cheap wannabe copy.

Fan-art is okay, but should not be used in a portfolio.
Fan-art can be fun and cool - it’s can be good practise for a
budding artist and it’s like having your own “Doll” of the character
you like the most.

Fun facts --> It’s easier to remember a fool that brought you a
good laugh than it is to remember a real good artist, so don’t
be the “fool”…work harder instead.

Thanks! anyway i have taken off a “puffo” (shoul be smurf in english…those little blue guys of Pejo) from the image i wanted to submit at the contest…
Here’s a litte shot of the original idea.
http://blender.sixmonkeys.geek.nz/albums/FirstBlends/FUNGOSTREGP.jpg
The smurf has been replaced by some sort of caterpillar.
Now i’m a bit repentant. I liked this more.
Thaks to all for the informations. :smiley:

As I understand the current copyright law, what you say is absolutely correct, providing you place the copyright notice (i.e. Copyright 2004 by Whoever) within your “published” work. Without this displayed copyright notice, it is not copyrighted.

It is still advisable at times to have the work registered with the Library of Congress Copyright Office (U.S.A.) as well.

A google search for Copyright or Library of Congress will get you to their website, where you can find the various classes (literary, dramatic, etc) for submitting your work for copyright protection.