Modelling exercise (female face)

Hi,

I’m trying to model a face as you can see… it’s my first one (well, the first to be completed) and I’m actually quite happy with the outcome so I’m posting it here for critique. :slight_smile:

At this point I kinda like the way the edge loops are set up, but something about the overall appearance bugs me, and I just can’t put my finger on what’s wrong. Hopefully someone can point me to the obvious flaws that I’m missing. :slight_smile:
I know the attachment of the ear to the head is messy… but since there is supposed to be hair later, I’m not too concerned about that. :wink:

Looking forward to comments…

FAQ:
Q: Another girl model? Why does it always have to be girls?!
A: Because! I’m a guy and my reference picture was a girl. So there.

the highest point of the head is at his back (you can actually feel it with your hands there, it’s a little bump…) otherwise it looks really good… but you’d never do a portrait in real photography with a 30cm lens, so don’t do it here either , looks alien ;D

Yes, set the camera to 200mm. You’ll have to move it further away though.

Both good tips, thanks… it’s not a render though, it’s just a screenshot of the Blender viewport. But I guess it can be changed there as well. Have to have a look. :slight_smile:

Yep, it can be. MUCH better, definitely. Thanks again. And I’ve also changed the top of the head, also a nice improvement. I love this forum already, I don’t know when/if I would have spotted this on my own… :slight_smile:

Small update. Mainly reworked the edge flow in several places and added (simple) eyes. No skin texture or even color yet.
And I’m also going to abandon my reference now and remodel the face to be prettier. :wink: Made some little tweaks to the nose so far.

Looks like a pretty good start. The only thing I can see at this moment would be the corners of the mouth seem to pucker out a bit. That’s always a difficult area to model.

Thanks daveleitz, worked on those corners a bit.
Here’s a quick update with todays experiments on hair. Never thought it would be that hard to get decent hair… and what I have so far is still a long way from what I would like… :wink:

Any hints on how to make good hair materials? This one is… bland to say the least.