Modelling GEB Design

(merrimanjd) #1

Hello,

I’ve been Blending for a few weeks, and I would like to create a model of the image on the cover of Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter (one of the BEST books ever written!!!) . You can see this image here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/0465026567/reader/1/ref=lib_dp_TFCV/102-7021128-2884908#reader-link It would be nice if I could just do the equivalent of taking a block of wood and cutting through it from each side. I was wondering what the best way to create this sort of thing would be. Keep in mind, I’m still very inexperienced with this, and the most I’ve done to attempt this is extrude some practice letters, but without the holes in them. But I may be heading in the wrong direction here…

Thanks for any help,

Jesse Merriman
[email protected]

(BgDM) #2

WO! That is a cool image.

I would suggest making the outlines of the letters with bezier curves, or single verts, and then just start facing the poly’s. That would probably be the easiest way of going aboutthis one. Unless of course you have publidher and can use booleans. Then it might be a little easier.

Good luck to you.

BgDM

(hannibar) #3
  1. Start with a cube.
  2. Create all the letters (B,G and E)
  3. Perform boolean operations.