Modelling - strange vertex behavior

(krizu) #1

Hi,

I’m quite new to 3d modelling and was trying to model a hand after some box modelling tutorial and now I am at the point of adding the fingernails. The thumb-nail got quite fine but now when I try to refine the second nail some of the vertices move in unexpected directions when I move or scale them. For example I move the mouse to the right with one or to vertices selected, the vertices moves to left or up and both in different directions. Also when I stick the movement to one of the axes it doesn’t help, I can’t control the direction as I am used to. Strangely I didn’t have this kind of behavior at the thumbnail part.
Can it be because I already assigned armature and weight? (I was kind of impatient … and decided to add more detail after rigging)
I guess there’s a simple reason right in front of my eyes but … you know.

Another question I have which came up in the refining process:
Is there a way to move vertices along the connecting edges? Well this would have helped me alot in the nail modelling part as it was quite a lot of trial and error to get it almost as wanted.

http://img499.imageshack.us/img499/1447/hand15xg.th.png

krizu

(Fligh) #2

In the header bar of the 3D window is an icon for Rotation/Scaling Pivot Point. Yours is set to Cursor and the 3D cursor is on the wrong side of the selected verts. Move the cursor or choose “Median Point”.

%<

(jimww) #3

if you are using the newest CVS, it may be that the armature is affecting your mesh. you can turn of the modifier influence in the edit panel. the vertexes will move relative to the axis of the bones they are parented to. ( i think. )

i believe you can also do vertex sliding in the latest CVS, but i have not found it yet. check the documentation. ( if i find the link, i wll post it here. unless someone else beats me to it. )

jim ww

PS found it: http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Subdivide_Tools.599.0.html

but now i am not sure if i was answering the right question…

(GreyBeard) #4

Is there a way to move vertices along the connecting edges? Well this would have helped me alot in the nail modelling part as it was quite a lot of trial and error to get it almost as wanted.

If you are using 2.40 alpha you can use edge slide see
http://www.blender.org/cms/Subdivide_Tools.599.0.html

In older versions you can use the following method. Select a vert on either side of the vert you want to slide and press shift-s cursor to selection. Now that the corsor is on the vert make sure your pivot mode is cursor (period key beside the comma). Select the vert you wish to slide and scale. (Harder to explain than to do :smiley: )

GreyBeard

(krizu) #5

Yes I am on 2.40alpha2.

: GreyBears and jimww: Edgslide sounds exactly like what I was looking for - but it gives me: “could not order loop error”. I’ll give that “old” method a try now.

: Fligh%: Hmm the pivot was set to meridian point. tried the others (cursor, individual, etc.) eithout sucess. strange. <–solved

Got it. Armature was affecting the direction of the vertices. Is this a wanted feature or just a sideeffect? Edgeslice still giving me the error.

<edid> stupid me. Actually not too much fantasy needed to read “Edgeslide” and not “Vertexslide”

krizu