Modifying the Animation Smoothing

I’m creating a run animation for a game, and the animation begins in the middle of a motion (so the arm and such are immediately moving, at top speed). But, animation in Blender is automatically smoothed, so in the start of the animation (which again, is supposed to start in the middle of a motion) it begins slowly and then goes in to it’s normal speed, and then at the end of the animation, it slows down. I need the end and start of the animation to be going at the exact same speed, rather than slowing down and then speeding up, so I need to get rid of the smoothing at the start and the end, but I have no idea how to do this. Hopefully this is really simple, and someone can help me out.

Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

I’ve already got this problem and the solution for me was to select all the keyframes and to duplicate the complete animation once before and once after the cycle. This way the automatic smoothing will disappear.
After doing that, when you play the animation or when you create an action, just do it for the cycle.

e.g. :
In this videothe walkcycle starts at 0 and ends at 32, so I’ve duplicated the whole cycle with the frame 32 replacing the frame 0 and once again, this time with the frame 0 replacing the frame 32, then I’ve created an action for the cycle (from 0 to 32).
Obviously you don’t need to duplicate the whole cycle, the keyframes just after 0 and just before 32 was enough to delete the auto smoothing but since I haven’t created keyframes at the same frames for all the bones, selecting all the keyframes for all the bones was easier.

I’m not sure if I’m doing what you’re telling me to, but whatever I’m doing is not working.

Basically, I’m taking all the keyframes of the animation, and duplicating them twice, although, right after the animation, because I can’t go in to negative frames. I’ve also tried replacing the last keyframe with the first keyframe, and the first keyframe with the last keyframe, but nothing changes. Just in case I didn’t word my original post very well, my problem is that the first keyframe and the last keyframe are smoothed. When the animation loops, it looks like the character is slowing down and then speeding up again mid motion, because the animation begins in the middle of a motion. I’m using version 2.5, by the way.

Thanks for the help so far. :slight_smile:

You can adjust the handles for each point in the graph editor. You can change from a bezier handle to vector or free handles. Select the point then look in the menus for the command to change the handle type (probably something like H)

Awesome, works perfectly! Thank you!

Of course you can adjust the handles in the graph editor but I’ve guessed you looked for an automatic method.