modular programming question

(IngieBee) #1

I’m just thinking, and that always gets me into trouble, but… I was wondering,

I’ve only used or tried out simple scripts in Blender. I was wondering if a more complicated program, one that uses outside libraries and moduals, could be used in Blender. I mean, we pull up blender librarises, right?, when writing a script? (please forgive me if I’m using the wrong lingo, terrably bad at that) Are you free to do anything? Can you precompile, before importing to Blender, therfore use whatever you can find/make available?

If that is the case… errr… why has noone made a raytracer? Or do I not understand what it takes? ( I know, I don’t know what it takes, LOL)

Thanks for the info, facinating stuff, wish I were on the upper half…

Love Ingie

(IngieBee) #2

And if that’s the case, can a gui interface be used/programmed while in Blender?

Thanks, neat stuff, no patience, but still would like to know!

love Ingie

(asdf_46) #3

I don’t know the correct terms either, but I have had good sucess in using pygame. I made a post a day or so ago Showing how to play mp3’s with the game engine with it. asdf_46

(theeth) #4

Are you free to do anything? Can you precompile, before importing to Blender, therfore use whatever you can find/make available?

In a word, NO. You can only use Python libraries or C-Python extension libraries.
Those can indeed be precompiled (refer to your other question for the answer).

And if that’s the case, can a gui interface be used/programmed while in Blender?
Yes, the Blender modules contains all the functions necessary to make any kind of GUI you want (the Blender.Draw and Blender.BGL modules, especially). The BGL module is an openGL wrapper, so you can do pretty much anything with it, while the Draw modules enables you to built quickly a Blender-like interface.

Martin

(IngieBee) #5

How cool, Thanks to both of you. Sounds like you can really expand the game engine that way.

Thanks again, Love Ingie

(theeth) #6

For gameblender it’s another thing though, since I think there are some restrictions (which I don’t know) on what types of modules you can import (internal, external Python, extrenal C-Python).

Martin

(IngieBee) #7

Hummm, Ok. I might actually get interested in learning this properly here. LOL. Only thing is, I need to get my computer up, ugh!! What a week!!!

Anyway, thanks, sorry my acknowledgement is late, just got a bugger computer problem :wink:

Love Ingie