Modular Tree

add-ons
(Leonard Siebeneicher) #767

I did use twigs. They were generated with MTree addon.

0 Likes

(lolwel21) #768

Currently working on showing my method. The trees are optimized for topology, but they are still full trees (geometry twigs instead of billboard branches).
I have a scene with 42,000 trees (according to particle system Number fields) comprised of 3 different tree models, each with its own particle system.
It takes up about 6GB of RAM, including an untextured landscape with ~52,000 tris.

2 Likes

(lolwel21) #769

This one has 3 different tree models. The 2 deciduous tree models are geometry down to hex leaves (8 verts, 6 tris per leaf), and the evergreen trees are ‘game hero’ level of detail (geometry down to twig fans).
The total memory cost of the scene peaks at 7659M (7.7G).

While the density may seem slightly low at first glance, this would look pretty realistic if you put a good ground texture under the trees, because normal forests have some clearings and/or meadows.
If you want a higher-density example, I can take out the Density maps for the different tree types, though it’ll have a bit more homogeneous distribution of species as a side effect.

0 Likes

(ambi) #770

You might consider using impostors, which is basically baking the tree from various angles and then in the shader determining which to render based on the incoming camera angle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwMOr3ppt8o

Much, much faster than complicated geo duplicated.

0 Likes

(lolwel21) #771

Agreed, but this is more of a stress test than an actual production scene, something that would rarely be useful beyond a few very specific edge cases (ex: a forest fly-through where the camera gets pretty close to a large number of trees), and even then you could use much lower-poly models for trees that the camera never gets close to.
No sense in giving background assets hero-level geometry unless you’re either literally Pixar, or you’re just doing a benchmark :wink:

0 Likes

(Tosky) #772

This addon aim to implement a 1-click process to create impostors aka imposter cards aka LODs/billboard, with the same method of “Amplify Impostors” from the Unity Store. https://github.com/Linko-3D/AssetGen

0 Likes

(lolwel21) #773

That’s awesome! Is this compatible with 2.8 or is it 2.7x only (for now)?

0 Likes

(Leonard Siebeneicher) #774

This kind of scene rensembles what I tried to do. I already am above 11G memory with one single Base Tree and millions of instances.

Rendering large scene took 2 to 3 minutes on my machine.

Pre-baked impostor trees could be interesting to play with.

It is a different topic. For me, it is too early to follow this path, I like to get a more in-depth knowledge on instancing/duplication based forest.

0 Likes

(Tosky) #775

Compatible with 2.8 only

0 Likes

(lolwel21) #776

Awesome! Gotta love future-proof plugins!

0 Likes

(Emir Sinan Gürlek) #777

That’s not true, it’s available for 2.7x as well.

0 Likes

(Tosky) #778

If you wanna use the older version without the new features & stability, sure…

0 Likes

(lolwel21) #779

Before working with the impostors, I wanted to see how far I could go with full geometry. In the end, I managed to fit this scene in less than 6GB of RAM (more than small enough to fit on my GPU!)
Peak memory usage: 5679.76M

My methodology was a bit of a hybrid approach.
The primary two tree types (deciduous) were implemented with hair, a large child particle count, and no density texture (because density textures don’t play nice with hair children for some reason).

I used 300-400 base particles and 40 child hairs with interpolated distribution.
To avoid visual repetition due to rotation clustering, I pulled a little trick. The hair particles were vertical (global z velocity instead of normal), and I used Velocity/Hair rotation for Collection instancing.
To add variation in the child rotation, all I did was add a bit of noise to the child particles. The collection rotation appears to follow the ‘elbow’ direction for hairs with 2 segments.

For the evergreen trees, I used a normal particle system, since individual hairs take more memory than standard particles. The main reason for this was that is the pine trees don’t look good without the density texture.

0 Likes