Modular wall destruction demo (VERSION 4 WITH STRESS CALCULATING OBJECT)

Look at the dates on the posts.

That file is old and outdated anyway, you can still find the modular wall destruction in this currently unfinished game

The game uses states and logic culling to make sure the modular wall destruction logic itself doesn’t slow down the game too much. (NOTE: there’s heavy physics simulation)

The origional implementation is S.L.O.W compared to the implementation in this game.

the screenshots look stunning! and i have been looking for a .blend or a tutorial demonstrating real-time
destruction!! and i have finally found one! but i can’t so could someone post the blend file or something??? please…:yes:

Thankyou very much!

Shoot, network timeout. Is the mediafire download link itself broken or is it my computer?
I’ve tried to recreate this, but can’t seem to find a way to simulate stress.
Can someone post a mirror? Thanks!

don’t think its your computer, because it happened to me too. its just that ‘mediafire’
is growing so it needs space so they just get rid of some older files. this file is almost 3 years old so thats probly why…btw, i would love a mirror too! because that other one that you sent me was great! bu i still really want to see the one about the layered wall and the wood and stuff. (the proper one)

I have my own account on Mediafire now so my files will not get deleted.

Anyway, I did some re-furbishing of the old file, quick converted to GLSL, fixed a few major glitches, and did for one of the objects, an example of using states to optimize your logic. Click the link in the first post again, it will work.

Updated, no new buildings, but destruction potential on existing structures have been increased, see first post.

Spent several hours on this, the key thing I wanted to do was create a basic stress system utilizing python for a single row of horizontal pieces, it took me quite a while to figure it out, but I’m happy with how it turned out.

Cool. Works quite well. Runs a little slow on my comp, but everything does.

Been working on this, this example project once had no python, it turns out that wasn’t possible.

What I mean by not possible without python is that to do more sophisticated stuff I needed to do things like get the object hit by ray sensors and change its property or properties, you just can’t do that with logic bricks.

Also, added a new building entirely made of destructable modular components to experiment with 2-D piece replacing and destruction using the object type that can do rough stress calculation for the roof. Also deleted the 4 pre-cut pieces on the shelter-type building and replaced them with modular components (the whole thing can still be destroyed).

What I mean by 2D is that the destruction was just 1D, or line-based instead of plane-based.

UPDATED AND RE-UPLOADED: (see first post)

The stress object now has working 2D plane stress and has gotton a bit more versatile, it’s recommended you base as many of your custom destructable modular components on this object if you can, it’s very good for destructable components that don’t touch the ground or is not supported by anything but other destructable components.

Cool works quite well. I might try to use it with something, just not sure what.

I’m glad you think so, it took me a while to get the stupid stress calculations working right with for about two days seeming like nothing’s making sense why is this working and this isn’t, it turned out the ‘property not found’ warnings in the console I thought were harmless and didn’t change anything actually prevented the code from working, who knew, I now know I should try to clean all warnings even if it means nested ‘if’ statements:rolleyes:

I’m also glad I went the route of more heavy use of python, doing object changing out in code is much better than with logic bricks.

Nice work!

very, very impressive. nothing to equal nvidia physx, of course, but they spent months just getting all the different object breaking materials, nevermind the rest of it and being GPU accelerated. what is the license?

The license? It’s free to use however you want, it’s a BGE resource after all.

Though it would be nice to note me in the credits if you use it heavily.

will do. I’ll be modifying it to work in 2.5 and then using it in http://blenderland.wordpress.com for destroyable anything.