Monetising videos?

(justwannapost) #1

Hi,
So I was just wondering how folks here are making animations, and then making money off of them? Is Youtube the only option? Are there no other sites for this (seems…Crappy, capital C, for there to be a monopoly)? Please note that I’m NOT in the US or the West, so options available to ME, over here in INDIA, would be…Much Appreciated :slight_smile: Thanks! :slight_smile:

I can’t spesk from experience, but it doesn’t seem very profitable to make animations and release them on youtube…

(SynaGl0w) #3

Getting started on a youtube is an uphill battle, especially if you don’t already have a community of supporters. Getting monetized requires viewership, and videos that are not monetized to not get as much exposure, if any.

Animation is most likely not the way to profit on youtube. However:

If your goal is to make money (“a living wage”) on youtube, you need to mass produce content that millions of idiots will watch and is not guilty of “wrongthink”. Wrongthink or sometimes things considered “dangerous” is usually what gets most videos/channels de-monetized. Swearing a lot in videos or showing anything related to hand-held combustion based projectile launchers can get them de-monetized if the account does not have the hidden “VIP” flag set.

The “VIP” flag is automatically set for celeb accounts, big corporate accounts, and otherwise big media industry accounts (TV, movies, music). This flag has nothing to do with the “checkmark” or verified account status. This flag may have multiple levels, but in general it’s the reason those accounts never suffer from random de-monetization, copyright takedowns, account strikes, etc. This is why a man of honor from the inner city can make a music video full of unsavory language disrespecting ladies of the night and waving around hand-held combustion based projectile launchers and never get his video de-monetized.

Youtube: A level playing field IT IS NOT.

(zanzio) #4

Yea, I agree. There are youtubers like deadsound who do this sort of thing, but I don’t get the impression that they make a living off their channels. You’ll probably have to do free lance work if you want to make a living using blender.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think youtube was the first to even offer this type of ad revenue sharing (I think since 2009). It’s only natural that they’d be in a dominate position. They basically created the field.

I can’t remember the name of the site, but there was a similar site that was started by ex-youtubers. When I visited it, the videos didn’t have many views at the time. Things could have changed, but I doubt very many people visit it, so it would be hard to make a living there.

(CarlG) #5

Should have a look at this before considering youtube. Several of who I’m subbed to has pretty much given up. I believe the linked one describes here being handed a copyright thingie for her face… Their copyright system is utter garbage.

(justwannapost) #6

Here’s something to make you burn!! :

(justwannapost) #7

Maybe it’s time to Start, then? Here, the market is still nascent, but…if plenty of folks DID start releasing animations on Youtube, ie. the public knew that if they go to Youtube, they’d find good animations there, then…they’d Watch them! …and all of us would benefit. …Can you think of any reason this SHOULDN’T happen?? :slight_smile:

I think nowadays monetising is a very weak way to make money in youtube, the alternative which I think its much better and used by many very popular youtubers is to offer videos for free on youtube and more extensive videos by patreon or other subscription orientated service.

Of course you could still sell animation packages through gumroad as a product or subscription or other platforms.

That means that basically you use YouTube only for marketing a sample of your work and then sell the rest on a different platform.

(ambi) #9

Even the best animation producers are abandoning Youtube. It really doesn’t pay for the amount of work you have to put in. What will probably sell better is courses.

If you can make good enough quality and long enough series, you can sell your work as courses in various websites. Should make a lot more money than Youtube. Also most people seem to be using Patreon instead of Youtube to generate revenue after the adpocalypse.

Unlike others, I don’t think the educational segment for Blender is saturated. Yes, there’s a ton of videos, but very few of them have serious effort put in. If you want to make any money doing animations or educational content in Blender you have to be really good at it and stand out, which is taking it seriously and possibly taking a huge up front cost with no certainty of any payout in the end.

Just my 2 cents, might be completely wrong.

(sundialsvc4) #10

Also, to me, these video sites are an excellent way to put out a portfolio of sample work. Of course if you have your own web-site you can directly deploy content to it, but video hosting sites do a lot of the technical leg-work for you. (It’s a good idea to “watermark” those videos.) No one has to do anything special to see it – just click a link. Basically free advertising.

While these sites are exploring avenues that allow them to sell licensed content – you can buy a movie for about three bucks – I’m not persuaded that these are the best ways to do that. iTunes, Google’s Play Store, et al, are already set up to sell multimedia content of all types.

Of course, before deploying anything, even to YouTube, “mind your P’s and Q’s.” Be sure that copyright notices are properly displayed, and in the file’s metadata, as provided for by the laws of your country, and that you have registered your copyright (if you can). This will serve as concrete, independently-verifiable proof, to the hosting company as well as to all comers, that you do formally claim legal ownership of the material you have posted and so that you have the legal right to publish it.

(James) #11

You would be better off using blender to make stock footage packs and stuff like VideoCopilot does. Stuff like explosions and muzzle flashes that can be used in post production instead of having to render them always sells.

Take a look at this… you’ll get a better idea what i mean.