Monster 'Roftie' Datsun

I’ve always wanted to model my own car. So over December I started to make it, panel by panel. But the project kinda went wayward (I’m loving it! Haha)

Here’s my car, a Datsun 1200 GX… (named Roftie)

So I modeled most of the car (no actual textures), a little modified.

But there are way too many renders out there of studio style car renders. So I’m planning on adding more flavour and drama to it, and try to push my skills a little.

The first render looks just great, like better than reallife :slight_smile:

The first render looks just great, like better than reallife :slight_smile:
can you post a screenshot of the raw blender sene ??

Ah ha, this is awesome!

Erm. That 1st one is a photo of my car… lol.

So, this is what I have in mind for my car. :slight_smile:

(Photoshop image)

But I’m having a very hard time doing the sand in CGI…

(CGI Version)

See what I mean? Simply awesome… Little Rofties inner self :slight_smile:

UPDATE: This is what I did last night. I wasted a lot of time trying to create the tire grooves with normal mapping, but then just decided to model them (which put a big spike in the polly count). The sand seems fixed and a couple of other colours too. My next task is to add dust and debris.

Thanks. Haha, yeah. It’s all about what’s in the little car’s heart. :stuck_out_tongue:

Those tires look pretty good! I love your monster truck car. What kind of debris do you plan to add to the scene?

I’m not quite sure yet. I’ll have to see what effects I can create with dust. Perhaps a spray of sand from the front wheels?

After brainstorming a little with a friend about how to bring some life to this scene, this is what we came up with. I love it! :slight_smile:
Will see how it pans out in 3D.

The sand spray took some trail and error. Started with a simple scene and a particle emitter. Works okayish. With Motion blur it looks quite good. (In this render the sand colour used is a little too light)
For the dust I followed BlenderGuru’s Clouds tutorial. The main difference is that I used a mix of Absorb and Scatter Shaders.

Model Updated with some basic textures that only has normal maps. Next step is to paint some proper textures. :smiley:

Critique on my wheels’ texures?
I think it looks good, but somehow not great… and I can’t put my finger on why.

Painted! :slight_smile:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]378812[/ATTACH]

Attachments

How do I fix the sand?? :frowning:

I can’t comprehend what you mean, but to me it seems like there is a big lack of spray at the back of the car.

Make more sand spray there!

Update : Rotated the camera for better scene layout, changed a bunch of other things. Next stop is to fix the ocean and background, then I want to take another stab at the beach sand. It’s not bad, it’s just not great.

Haha, added more in the back, but you’ll only see that when I crank the samples up.

The good folk on the Level Up facebook group helped me get this far. But I’m still not really happy with the paint and the sand. But I’ll tackle that tonight.