Mont Saint Michel in 3D

This looks amazing!

1 Like

I found a top-down photo of the original location and managed to get a somewhat accurate height map out of it and expanded on that a little more. Now it’s going to make for a much more interesting background that works well enough with sea level at any height :smiley:

I also played around a bit with fog and clouds, but I’m not entirely convinced by it yet^^

2 Likes

do you plan to reproduce the golden archangel statue at the top of the bell-tower @Jasper ?
:slight_smile:

I don’t think so. Actually I’ve been leaving the entire spire out all this time because I really liked the simple/rough shape the tower has without it (and I’m not sure yet if it will indeed have this flat top in the end)
But if I do add the spire it will be a little shorter than the original and probably without the statue unless I find a suitable scan, because I really want to finish this project :smiley:

I understand your point of view and i confess that IMHO architecturally speaking, this Campanile reminds me of some Eugene-Viollet-Le-Duc’s Notre-Dame Cathedral’s arrow ( wich is now down ): some useless symbol of the human pride to build higher and higher.

Nevertheless, even if i ( you ? :wink: ) consider those choices as out-of-topic/unimportant they were made by some architects ( ??? not sure :stuck_out_tongue: ) and give the St-Michel mount top it’s nowadays look.
Therefore, and it’s only my point of view, it’s part of what you beautifully modeled and it should also be modeled.

Technically speaking, i feel it’s a pain reproducing the statue. And doing it by hand ( mebe a rough sculpt one ) would do the trick when cam is down the stairs but… no doubt some people will ask for the Archangel pic over the land…
something like this:

@Jasper i’m definetely admirative at your work. I love your way and talent for approching perfection.
And all along your posts, i hardly wait for the time you make the statue over its campanile :wink:

Back to tech, maybe ( as there are legions of pics and drone vids of this statue all around the web ) you can give a try with photogrammetry rebuilding it in 3D ?
Your non-care of triangles count should allow this kind of rebuild…

At last but not least ( and as an historical architecture lover ) i confess i dream to catch you model and make it freely visitable in unity3D through an application, just like i did for the Carcassonne medieval city…

Finally i just have to say what you deserve: Thanks a lot for your time, work and talent, giving me this pleasure to my eyes ! :smiley:

Happy blending !

1 Like

I’m happy with them too! Incredible!

1 Like

There haven’t been any major changes this week but here’s an updated clay and viewport render

@pitibonom Thank you. I can definitely appreciate your appreciation! :smiley:
About the tower, I also think that sort of design is a little out of place given that the rest of the scene is supposed to be a couple hundred years back in time… But the statue shouldn’t be a big deal. Either way I’m going to decide this later :slight_smile:

I’m likely not going to do any sort of real-time version of this project though. Perhaps I’ll have to leave that task to you :wink:

@Anthony_Forwood Thanks, Anthony!

3 Likes

Hey @Jasper!
Man, what an Epic you have here! :slight_smile:
I’ve drop by to check out how you were progressing and I’m very impressed, to say the least!
If I may ask how are you making the clouds!? Are they volumetric shader from Blender or come from other software?
This is exactly what I like to see and respect! Perfect job! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Rogerio! I render everything in Blender. The misty layers of clouds are just a big stretched box with some procedural noises for the volume density.
The more defined clouds that you see in the third image there were made with Houdini. They’re super fast to make, and since Blender 2.83 we can finally import VDB files to blender :slight_smile:
I saw there are also a couple of VDB cloud packs that you can buy online

1 Like