Montagestudio publish a new timelapse modelling serie!

UPDATE 09-26-08
Part #2 now released!
http://www.montagestudio.org/blog/

Hey blenderartist!

Well some of you might remember we were working on a ‘steampunkish’ airship back in August.

I had promised I’d do a dvd with commentaries/voice-over explainning the different modelling step…and well, I found out I didn’t have time for that! So instead, I’m releasing all the recorded modelling sessions as timelapse video!

There will be about 6parts of 30minutes (original time around 3h30-4h). The first one is online!

Look at our blog over here:

And as stated on the blog, if you have any question while looking at the video, note the time on the video, and write me an email to jsguillemette at montagestudio dot org. I’ll do a ‘F.A.Q.’ on the released video each week before releasing the next part.

Hope you enjoy it :slight_smile:

ps: if you go on the vimeo page of the video, and register to their site, you’ll be able to download the 800x600 version of the video at the bottom right of the page.

WOW!!!
I especially appreciate seeing the use of intersecting objects and the use of what appeared to be retopo on the detailing/decoration.
Awesome resource all the way around!!

Great stuff dude.

Another brilliant piece from Montage!

Great work, as usual!

AT LAST!!! i just noticed this thread here…

Ecks,
thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you…
i am so excited to watch this series… i’ll leave a message at your blog after watching the video :slight_smile:

Pity this DVD didn’t pan out. We’ll just have to come up with an even more insane modelling task for next time eh?

Perhaps some sort of cybernetic monkey warrior with self camouflaging armour riding bare-back on a giant flying brute of a rhinocerous type creature made entirely of bone, rock and flame charging down through an ancient canyon filled to the brim with the ruins of a once powerful civilization of Mastodons known for their scientific prowess…

Or a big ol’ robot.

I’m down with either option.

Hey guys!

Well I’m happy to see you’re enjoying the watch :slight_smile:

and Ben, what a wonderful idea with the cybernetic monkey warrior with self camouflaging armour riding bare-back on a giant flying brute of a rhinocerous type creature made entirely of bone, rock and flame charging down through an ancient canyon filled to the brim with the ruins of a once powerful civilization of Mastodons known for their scientific prowess…

I love it. We might be able to squeeze that inbetween everything else…or not. haha

that was awesome! loved every minute, even the music.
for me montagestudios is one serious inspiration apart from the blender foundation and pro motion studios.
thanks a lot for making this video, i enjoy watching behind the shoulders vids. please dont stop recording all your creative workflows :slight_smile:
i wish you guys all the best!

ps: posted by ben dansie:
Perhaps some sort of cybernetic monkey warrior with self camouflaging armour riding bare-back on a giant flying brute of a rhinocerous type creature made entirely of bone, rock and flame charging down through an ancient canyon filled to the brim with the ruins of a once powerful civilization of Mastodons known for their scientific prowess…

comment: …while releasing a rapid burst of gunfire into the sky aiming at a steampunk airships misfit crew who are jumping off towards the attacker withouth any rope or parachute and with a look that reads: “im gona rip you apart with my bare hands if you make one more step towards that glowing energy crystal which keeps our dimensional plane intact!”. lol :smiley:

gaalgergely - I tip my hat to you. I seriously couldn’t think of much else to squeeze into that scene, but now I am pretty tempted to make it happen at some point. My head was spinning yesterday at the possible ‘anatomy’ of the flying rhino creature, I’ll probably try at least that part. Eventually.

The whole thing would have made a powerful candidate for the BWC, but I’m guessing I would have had to start this time last year in order to finish…

Sorry for the little thread hijack Ecks, back to work I guess…

Hey guys!

Part #2 is now released for anyone interested.
Just go to our blog at