Mood Lamp Lighting

hello everyone. in short, the first image is the style I am trying to create. and the second is what I came up with so far.

I feel like there is something essentially missing, but I could not really find a solution to get it more similar. I guess the main issue is in the reference image, the light covers more area on the wall -although I am not sure if it is physically correct- To have more light to the room, I actually made the outer part of the lamp like following so that while it is lighting the room, it still looks metal to the camera

Please let me know how you’d approach to such this scene.

Thanks a lot in advance!

1 Like

Well, good luck :wink: I try as hard as possible to avoid such lighting fixtures that solely rely on indirect lighting because they can get extremely noisy. I try to use area lights in a direct fashion, and as big as possible, leaving only emission geometry for the camera only.

How would I approach such a scene? First of all I’d get hold of a real light so you know you’re analyzing the real deal and not some rendering where you don’t know what tricks are being utilized. But my general setup might be something like this:

Even 1000 samples with adaptive sampling enabled leave a noisy mess to denoise, and it shows. The 2 sample preview shows why this is the case. The top emission node is not using any trickery, while the bottom one mixes Quadratic (realistic) and linear falloff. In this case, the results are kinda close. The brightness of the walls will have a major impact, here I’m at 0.8 with some specular but without utilizing any reflection caustics for light transport. A dark wooden floor is not going to help the light bounce around. I’ve also upped the diffuse bounces. You can get some control by rotating the lights and controlling its falloff angle. The lamp itself is just a curve object, so ignore the missing ends.

Lighting a scene with these sorts of indirect only lights is just asking for having to do lots and lots of samples to clean it up. If this is a scene from other software, I’d ask or download to figure out how it was approached even if the software is different.

1 Like

Wow, thank you for your time, that was really super helpful! I am trying the things you mentioned, but I was initially curious if there is a particular reason why you choose using an area lamp, but not the mesh with an emissive material?

I also want to animate the light to spice things up a little… I was using a mapping node for the animation part. In this set up, is there a nice and easy way to control the light movement? Nothing fancy, but just a walk on the color ramp is basically I am after.

Again, thank you deeply for your time, I cannot appreciate it enough! ^^

I prefer area lights if possible, for everything except camera, and then only because camera visibility is not yet a thing. They clean up faster, recently got spread angle control (which I find a bit buggy, but still. I’ll sometimes use emission geometry if what I want can’t be done with area lights.

I guess you could take #frame as a value and add it to the y component driving the ramp, but with a fraction math node in between. I didn’t save the project and I’m busy with something else so I can’t test right now.