Moonkiroe - MMORPG

Hi
I’m creating a Multiplayer Online Game (rpg, sort of “cartoon” style), in 2D isometrique.
For the sprite, I use images made and rendered with Blender (internal renderer).

Here is an illustration made for the Game (it’s not a picture from the game;)).

If you want more informations about the game, you can visit the site (in french only for the moment) :
http://www.moonkiroe.com

Here is a picture FROM the game (in the level editor, the black case will be invisible in the game that’s the bloc for the collision) :

For the moment, I’m sorry, but it’s only in French, and there is no version available (we are in “private” beta-test (closed beta-test ?).

The game will be only for Windows, because it doesn’t work with Linux, nor Mac (I’m not the developper of the game :D).
The game is not made with the blender game engine, but with Game Maker.

Thank you.

Blendman

Attachments

Nice looking render and the graphics of the game look great. I take it this will be a commercial game?

well done!!!

Certainly commercial grade graphics - too bad it’ll only be for windows.

Hey, nice. Heh, I noticed that the top picture has a sort of ‘claymation’ feel from the way you lit it.

Nice render, good lighting, colour and style. The game look neat aswell.

interesting looks nice.

hhmm… somehting interasting to look into

solid illustration! the game graphics look great too!

looks very pretty.

One thing I want to say about the game… It needs some darker shades or maybe (if you can in the game) add some nice shadows so the edges look better.

Awesome idea though, and I’d love to see this fully finished

looks good. hope to see an english port of it though. :wink:

I absolutely love the style, and your lighting, and rendering, it’s great! keep it up!
Murphy

Hi
Thank you very much for all your comments :wink:

Thank you. Yes, it will be a commercial game.
But for the moment, the game is in “beta-test”.

Sorry, I’m not the developper, but the game is made with a software which use Direct X. Perhap’s in the futur, the software will use open GL, and perhap’s (I hope) the game could be open with Wine (but I’m not sure, I hope :)).

In the game, the shadows will be darker.
A screenshot from the game (work in progress) :

http://www.moonkiroe.com/img/screen/screeningame01.jpg

But, for the “soft” (nice) shadows, I can’t in the game because, the game use .gif for the sprite, and .gif doesn’t allow to have soft (nice) edge.
The shadows is difficult to create in the game, because it’s a 2D isometric (the graphic engine uses sprites (gif) for the game), it’s not a “3D real time game”, so I can’t use lightmaps (.PNG or .TGA) for exemple for the shadows ;).

Yes, we are trying to make an English version fo the game ;).

Hm. Why GIF? PNG is so much better. Design decision that wasn’t yours? :slight_smile:

Anyway, looks very nice.

Thanks .

Yes PNG is so much better, but Game Maker didn’t use PNG , only gif or bmp for the sprites;).

Reminds me of a game I played in PS2…Looks like a great game…

looks fantastic! just so you know, GM will load PNGs as images, and the latest release (v7.0) will allow you to load them with an alpha channel. also there are several “fake” shadow/lighting engines out there, but it would be way way too processor intensive (slow) for any type of online play.
not to stray too far offtopic, but with a project this large/graphically intense that you intend for commercial release, are you sure GM is the right tool for the job? i use it myself for hobby projects, and it’s absolutely fantastic for rapidly prototyping any 2d shoooter/platformer type game. i only wonder because i would hate to see you do all these great graphics only to have your game fizzle on the engine end… (please, everyone, note, i am a dedicated, registered gm user, i’m not trying to bad-mouth it or anything…)
anyway, those concerns aside i wish you the very best with this project. the graphics are great!

freakin awesome man. just freakin awesome.
:eek:

if you have time you should look into making a tutorial on making sprites for gamemaker in blender. you’ve done a really nice job.

Thank you very much for your comments :slight_smile:

I know in GM the alpha mask ;), but, alpha mask take too much CPU.
In the game, the fps are between 25 and 30.
If I use .PNG for shadow, the fps could be less than 15 or 20.

I use the alpha mask for the interface (menus, inventory, quest book, and so…).

For the “soft” shadows : we are going to make some test with the alpha mask, and if the performances of the engine/game are good, we’ll integrated alpha mask for shadows to have soft shadows, in some case :D.

What do you mean by : “fake” shadow / lighting engines out there ?
Some fonctions in GM to create "fake shadow-lighting ?

The difficulty with a game online is to keep good performances of the game.

not to stray too far offtopic, but with a project this large/graphically intense that you intend for commercial release, are you sure GM is the right tool for the job? I only wonder because i would hate to see you do all these great graphics only to have your game fizzle on the engine end…

I know that (perhap’s) GM is not the right tool to create this game. But i’m not the developer of the game, and I can’t developp the game my-self.
My developper use GM and some “C” language to create the server and other tools for the game (dll).

But, if we see that the game doesn’t run with 100 players online, I think that we will have to change the engine.

Do you know other engine “like” GM ?

• to create “easily” gameplay (like the bricks in the blender game)
  • 2D isometrique engine (Astar pathfinding, collision…)
  • free (open source or not) or “cheap” (20- 50Euros for exemple :D).

anyway, those concerns aside i wish you the very best with this project. the graphics are great!

Thank you , your comments are very interesting ;).

This is going to be very interesting, nice images so far, very well done, hope that there will be a open beta test, when you are nearly done…I wish you good luck, and don’t give up.
MMORPG’s are one of the hardest games to produce.