more modeling question

1. use a lattice to deform a sphere, when you are done with it, how do you get rid of the lattice and keep the deformed sphere as a regular mesh?

2. part your parts into different layers, would you be able to make one of the layer visible but untouchable? so that you could mimic the shape without break the mesh.

3. any good particle tutorials around?

4. the script does not looks friendly to me, I don’t want to touch it. Do you?

Thanks.

x.

1:
control+shift+a

answers to the rest would take effort

1. Ctrl-Shift-A with the mesh selected, then unparent (Alt-P)

2. You have to use a scene to do that.

create an empty scene (the - button next to the SCE: … button at the top)
go back to the first scene and move the objects you want to use as model to the other scene (Ctrl-L -> To Scene, then delete the object in this scene)
Go to the Display Buttons window (F10)
At the left, on the same line as the label “set”, press the - button and select the scene you just created

1. Many, and a lot of example files there: http://www.centralsource.com/blender/effects.htm

2. yup

Martin

1. Got it. Thanks. A lot!!

2. Try to follow, but not sure if I know how to create an “empty scene” at the first place. Assume that I have a model in the scene, now I want to add a new scene, but the new scene always contains the model, would you consider it an empty scene?

Around step 2, not sure if I should select the model or not when I “hit Ctrl-L to scene”, but either way, got “Error: This is Current scene”,

“Step 3”? Since I did follow 1 & 2 nicely, so when I click “-”, it says it’s not allowed!

1. Thanks for the link.

2. Thank you for understanding.

Apparently you didn’t even try since as soon as you add a new scene with, guess what, “ADD NEW”, another dialog pops up giving you the choice of an empty scene among others.

Around step 2, not sure if I should select the model or not when I “hit Ctrl-L to scene”, but either way, got “Error: This is Current scene”,

Martin says : go back to the first scene : apparently you didn’t

“Step 3”? Since I did follow 1 & 2 nicely

I wouldn’t bet on that…

Sorry about my misunderstanding Martin’s notes. I beg your pardon.

Now I am following. Thank you all!!

I have clicked a wrong button “- SCR: screen” which is the one next to “-SCE”, wondering what does SCR do.

[quote=“IamInnocent”]

Apparently you didn’t even try since as soon as you add a new scene with, guess what, “ADD NEW”, another dialog pops up giving you the choice of an empty scene among others.

Martin says : go back to the first scene : apparently you didn’t

“Step 3”? Since I did follow 1 & 2 nicely

I wouldn’t bet on that…[/quote]

It’s all right!

wondering what does SCR do.

It allows you to record (and recall) diverse arrangements of windows you’d prefer. There are already three that you could explore by default.

To give an example : you could add a new screen, which will be given a name automatically, set up 4 3D windows of, let’s say, the top view, right side view, front view and a camera view of your scene. Then give a meaningful name (replacing the default one) to that new ‘screen’ and you can recall that disposition just by choosing it in the dialog. To save it permanently you do ctrl+ukey.

SCR are screens, they contain the layout of the windows. You can create multiple screen with different purpose. (modelling, animating and scripting for example).

Martin

SCR is for setting up default screens customized to perform the task that you are currently working on.

Blender comes with 3 default screens already set up for you:

screen.001 is the default that you see after you first download, install, and run it. It consists of 3 Windows arranged vertically - an info window at the top, a big 3D Window in the middle, and a Buttons Window at the bottom.

screen is similiar to screen.001, but has the center Window divided into a 3D Window and an IPO Window.

screen.002 is set up to work with the Sequence editor.

You can switch between the various Screens using the ShortCut keys: Ctrl_Right Arrow or Ctrl_Left Arrow.

You can add Screens for a particular task so that it is better set up to perform certain tasks, character Animation perhaps, in which case you may wish to have a screen set up with an Action Window and IPO Curve Window open.

You can also give the Screens better names such as ‘Editor Default’, ‘Editor 2 View’, Editor 3 View’, ‘Editor 4View’, ‘IPO Curve Editor’, or what ever you want.

Once you’ve customized your Screen setup, then you would save it using Ctrl_[u]

SCR is wonderful!!

But I must be careful about “ctrl+u”,
Somebody told me that I could save a customized user scheme by hitting “ctrl+u”, I did, but it also saved my meshes with it, so every time I open Blender, hit “ctrl+x”. I won’t get a real new file, the meshes are always sitting there.

Now if I want to customize something, I must exit of my current project. “ctrl+x”, get rid of all the meshes that I’ve saved wrongly last time I hit “ctrl+u”, hit “ctrl+u” to write over it so that I could have real new blender file next time I hit “ctrl+x”.

Well it is always a good idea to be careful, but there is no need to be paranoid :wink:

It just costs a bit of time to restore your default blend file situation.

You can always go to your “Home” directory (where Blender stores the default .B.blend file - do a search for it on your hard drive to find the directory) and then save the original file as something like .B_original.blend. Then if you save an unwanted blend file as your default, you can always simply restore the original file as your default.

I have heard a long time ago, that if you delete the .B.blend file, Blender will automatically recreate the standard default blend file from scratch; though I have never tested that and perhaps it is no longer true.

Actually, I still use the default setup, though I know that I should make my life easier and set up some customised screens :wink: