More problems with skinning...

It seems that every time I try and do something with this model, I have to run back here because something goes wrong. I’m thinking I might just start over from scratch…

Anyways, this time I’m having issues setting up an Armature modifier. As soon as I type “Amature” in the OB: panel, this happens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXogBXRTElI

I’ve played around with armatures before, following other tutorials and just experimenting on my own, so I think it has something to do with the armature I’ve set up. Im following the tutorial in “The Essential Blender”.

Any help would be appreciated…

After looking at the issue a bit more, I discovered that if I get rid of the “Lock Track” constraints on the lower legs, the armature modifier applies normally. Anyone know why this would happen?

The constraint is causing the orientation of the leg bones to change. It looks like it’s making them twist around by some amount. When you are setting up the constraint, make sure that you have the axis buttons set properly; for example, for legs, you probably want the X or Z axis to point to the target bone/object, and the Y axis (parallel to the bone) to point “up.”

Ctrl+Nkey will “recalculate the normals” of your armature by recalculating the bone roll positions; this might help too.

It’s been months since I read that book; if you need more help, could you point me to the chapter/pages you’re having trouble with?