More Procedural Textures for Blender?

there was a summer project for new proc textures
so when are we going to get it included in 2.8 ?

thanks
happy bl

If i remember correctly i saw a post mentioning 2.82 but i could be wrong.

Blender really need some love in the procedural department since it is counter productive to have to elaborate complex math node just to achieve a very tiny variation and when a software can only be use by mathematician then we have a problem.

The berconmaps are there open source and no need to develop anything more since when i was using them i remember that i didn’t feel the need for other procedural at least in my daily work.

I would go as far as starting a crowd funding page for an eventual interest coder to port them and by what i have read on blender devs someone said this was easy to do.

I guess these berconmaps are coded in C
so you would need to built a new SVN to includes these!

or just wait till you get the 2.82
should be a lot more flexibles and easier to use

happy bl

I have no idea but i would like a coder to enlighten us on this!

Ah, memories of my 3ds Max years. :slightly_smiling_face: I also loved the Darktree procedural materials and textures, many years ago.

1 Like

Yep i remember those and if i had a dollar each time the berconmaps save me i think i would be rich!

This is the one area currently that make me go back to substance designer since i don’t feel like trying the hardest way to create a simple pattern in blender.

1 Like

The stuff he shows as “noise” appears to be mainly voronoi or voronoi mixed with regular noise.
I think you can do most if not all of these noise textures in Blender.

You can do the wood in Blender. There are even a couple of threads on this forum about procedural wood.

Not sure about the tilted bricks.

The "complex noies patterns " I believe is justa bunch of noises mixed and color ramped together.

You can probably do a few but you will have to figure a lot with math node and most artists are not very good at this unfortunately.

I remember using them was really easy and they have ton of parameters to tweak them exactly the way you want it. Doing so in Blender make me scratch my head a lot and i often revert opening substance designer to make them.

A 3d software never had too much noise believe me.

The wood i agree there is no real need and even the brick but their assortment of noise is impressive and like i already say they are easy to tweak to get the effect you are after.

Blender definitely needs more procedural texture options.

Not only noise types but some more regular tiled patterns would be cool too.

2 Likes

There is no math needed for these types of noises. They are pretty trivial.

One thing to know when comming from 3ds Max is that in Blender you use a color ramp for what what you do with “noise threshold low” and “high” in max.
One more thing to know is that in Blender you can plug noise maps into other noise maps which will distort them even more.

If you learn how to separate texture coordinates you can scramble individual axis ( for example only the x axis) and then recombine them. This isn’t very difficult either and leads to an even more abundant wealth of noise.
I think Blender is vastly more powerful than Max could ever be when it comes to noise.

2 Likes

Agree probably more powerful but not as intuitive and not everyone is good a making brain gymnastic to make a simple noise pattern!

But after 18 years in game studio i must insist that we need more intuitive noise in blender procedural department.

You get everything and more you get in Max by combining just two nodes. No gymnastics needed.
That is either:
noise + color ramp
voronoi + color ramp
musgrave + color ramp.

Here is a good translation from 3ds Max to Blender jargon. The guy compares all kinds of noises in Max and a bunch of plugins.
Below the headlines of the indiviual noises he has the “real name” of the noise.
This “real name” is what it is called Blender.
http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/procedural_noise/procedural_noise.html

I know the Neil Blevin page and still i cannot figure easily how to do all the various type of noise i need without fiddling for hours with nodes.

There is no resources showing how to do it with the various method you are telling me and in production we don’t have time to play unfortunately.

I am not saying it is rocket science but it is still not an intuitive process and newcomers will have a hard time doing it.

I am not alone saying this there is even a few propositions i saw on blender devs + many folks asking for more procedural in the node department.

At least if a knowledgeable person could make a page with all the main mostly use noise variations with their corresponding setup this would make it easier.

Even if i would like to have more i am also not an idiot and some performance issues should go way before this in the priorities list.

I posted a picture with exact node setups above.

Thank you!

I’ve added some patches for maths functions and interpolation. Imagine sockets to control start and end of ramp. Barter made the tweets. :rofl:

6 Likes

This is why I think Blender should include presets for shader nodes, texture nodes, Compositor nodes, and soon the other node types, such as particles and the Everything Nodes project. Presets would make the nodes accessible to every user, and you can expand them to more complex node setups.

3 Likes

And here’s where artists come to play, make and share… alike:

3 Likes

Agree this could help artists and it would be a mistake to make tools that only a programmer could use or understand.

1 Like

I know that this is not the proper, maybe, place to point out such a thing but let put it here too: one of the main things that still lack in Blender is a good curvature shading. Because without such a shading all the texturing would stay unable to give a really believable appearance. It is the combination of textures (of scratches mainly) with good curvature maps that would give satisfying results.

The thought here came again by having a look to the Keyshot shaders and materials which Metin mentioned above. Look at the link below and you will see it. We do need such a thing in Blender too, with all its various parameters: with selectively positive and negative curvature producing abilities, with altering the thickness of curvature, with various smoothing degrees of curvature lines etc.

https://luxion.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/K8M/pages/311853419/Curvature

1 Like