More realistic objects

Hello

in max for an object to be more realistic right after modeling we apply a modifier: noise, for the object to be less straight

how do you do this in blender 2.81?
how to get the impression that an object was created in a 3D program?

thanks

1 Like

This sounds very interesting!
I would be very curious to know as well if that’s possible in Blender?

If I correctly understand what Max’s noise does, in Blender that would be the Displace modifier with a noise texture.

Funny, usually people want the opposite :slight_smile:

Moving this to Modeling

You can also use the bevel modifier to add better edges (beautifying the edges) ,or subtle imperfections in a different way by combining weights and bevel and couple other modifiers.

Mh … if you ask for something similar like Noise modifier, Im with Stan_Pancakes answer. In Blender, there is no special Noise modifier.
There is the Displacement modifier, it could do the same. You do need to add a noise texture. Musgrave or Cloud texture could do a good job.

Cloud texture is easier to use. Musgrave gives more control. But you have to deal with clamping.

If you use Musgrave noise, you can counter noise clamping with (Musgrafe//Intensity … clamping of high values) and (Musgrave//Offset … clamping of low values).
You could play with other parameters, like (Musgrave//Size) or (Musgrave//Octaves). If you see clamping, tweak (Musgrave//Intensity) or (Musgrave//Offset).

Beware that the displace modifier with texture ( or actually all modifiers with texture ) is pretty annoying to use because there is no way of visualizing the textures.

If you dont use Texture Nodes, at least, there is (Properties // Texture // Preview).

But, if Texture Nodes active for texture … brrh.

Eh? These textures work with nodes?

Maybe a random select is an option. I recorded a small video to explain.
I use random select/deselect and proportional editing. You may need to tweak a bit to get better results. I subdivided the cube and used a pretty high poly count to illustrate but you can use less of course.

Eh? These textures work with nodes?

Nö. But you could use texture nodes to shut down a texture for a modifier. :grin:

Häh? I can not follow. Please elaborate. :slight_smile:
You mean bake?

If you activate texture nodes for a displacement texture, (Texture // Type) is set to None. You could tweak node tree, wont do anything. Texture just outputs zero’s.

In edit mode in tools menue (T) under smooth (long Press) u find “randomise”. I prefer the a.n.t. landscape addon cause it hat more options.

thank you all for your attention

besides noise and bevels:
what do you recommend to make a more realistic object at a modeling level?

it is possible to apply:

noise (with random select)
bend
scale, rotate and move

small amount on all objects in the scene at once?
randomly in the number and direction of changes?

to make the scene more realistic as quickly and easily as possible
?

Hello

Thank you for your help
I have more doubts:

is it possible to transform the surface of an object through the channel: displacement of the material using EEVEE? like ?

can an object with 2 or more materials be transformed by a single displacement? like ?

thank you

Eevee doesn’t support geometry displacement via material.

1 Like

displacement socket in eevee works the same as a normal map. To make it work like a real mesh displacement you need to use Cycles and enable it in the material settings.

If you are using displacement modifier then no worries, modifiers effects mesh not materials.
If you are using a displacement node you can create a group with the same displacement and use it in multiple materials

how can I subdivide a very edited mesh for use with the displace modifier?
I’m trying here but because it is an irregular mesh the subdivision is not uniform

That’s why people put emphasis on a “good topology”.

There is a remesh modifier, if you can’t make it work for you there are also remesh operations in the sculpt mode.

You can also try using adaptive subdivision. It works only for cycles and it’s an experimental feature that sudivides a mesh depending on how far is it from the camera. It’s supper crashy though.

do you believe that quadRemesher does this subdivision?