More than 500th ordered dvd for Open Game project (Apricot)

More than 500th ordered dvd for Open Game project (Apricot) :slight_smile:
This project will be start on the next week and if you interested in it what
will be developed to help the game developers pipeline, please visit here.

http://apricot.blender.org/

some features that is implemented yet in test builds:
-tangent, camera and object space baking form high to low polygon objects.
-displacement map baking
-ao baking (the approximation ao is not work yet)

some features that missing form blender and may be developed:
-easier setup glsl shaders preview (color, bump, specular maps)
-a common used export format like collada without bugs
-better real-time animation preview
-external plugin interface http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/ExternalEngineInterface

hopefully they get everything going well, this should be great.
500 dvd’s already shows that many have confidence in this project.
It is in good hands.
Best wishes with the project!
m.a.

I bought the DVD right away when they started selling it, to support the project.
But now that I realize that I will also receive a game in the end, I am getting quite excited :smiley: (seriously didn’t really think about that, when I bought it…)

That is the first game I ever bought for a computer.

Whatever game type it will be, I really hope that they will make it in such a way that later each member of the community can create and share their own levels! And if you could compete each other over the internet, that would be even better.

MD

Very intresting about the External Engine Interface. My big question here is about licensing. I remember reading an old mailing list post from Ton a while ago that plugins integrated with Blender must be open source licensed. A workaround for this was for a (closed source) plugin to use a (open sourced) python wrapper to interface with blender.

If this will be so for the new External Engine interface too then this will be very limiting for companies wanting to port plugins to Blender. Blender is getting better by the hour and since it has an extremely large user base companies writing plugins do have an interest to port their plugins to Blender. But if they have to open source their code, this won’t happen. I love open source myself but it can’t be expected that companies change their whole licensing profile just to port to Blender. Not gonna happen.

I have been in contact with a plugin company that is interesting in porting to Blender eventually (some other ports are first in line) but for that to happen it must not be a prerequistic to open source their code.

Actually, Blender is ideal for plugin developers. There are a myriad of 3D suites out there, all of them costing big bucks. To reach all the users of these programs a plugin company must port their software to each and every one of these systems. This is a lot of work. An alternative would be to write the plugins for Blender. Since blender is free and anyone can download it, it could in the future become a lingua franca of plugins. For this, Blender needs excellent plugin support (both C and python and with the option to close source the plugins) and excellent importing and exporting facilities. Importing and exporting is decent right now (have not used it myself but from what I’ve read) with a lot of formats supported though many with limitations so the big thing that is needed is good plugin support.

With Blender 2.5’s event recode I suspect writing a plugin interface that allows close integration with blender tools will be much easier than now.

For blender to play in the big league, it needs plugins, and not only python plugins by avid users but by big companies with hordes of paid programmers. And for this to happen, there must be some new licensing provision that admits closed source plugins.

Well, this was a long ramble but I see a real opportunity here for Blender to step up and improve with the help of plugin developers. Hope someone at the Blender Foundation is thinking about these legal issues so coders don’t have to.

Weren’t they planning for 1000 sold by the start of february?

So anyone who hasn’t bought one yet do so now!

@Flyingscanian: I dont know about the licensing for plugins but i think the fair would be that who like to use an open source app with own plugin would be cover the same license.

@Surt:
I think the project will be start on february 1 , and not depending on the sold dvd.

I really hope that they will make it in such a way that later each member of the community can create and share their own levels

I believe they have said yes they will.

Very intresting about the External Engine Interface. My big question here is about licensing. I remember reading an old mailing list post from Ton a while ago that plugins integrated with Blender must be open source licensed. A workaround for this was for a (closed source) plugin to use a (open sourced) python wrapper to interface with blender.

Blender’s open source tools are available for comercial / closed purposes, as long as they are not included as part of the product. LGPL things can be included though. Correct me if I’m wrong on that.