More UV wrap woes

At the moment I’m still using 2.46.
I have an object full of various faces. I want to slap an image onto one of them. I have tried to follow several youtube tuts on this and I’m getting nowhere. A few of them are pre-2.46 and seem to handle this better than my version by way of this UV Face Select Mode which appears to be missing.
Anyways - this what I’m doing, although my results are totally different to everyone elses. Object mode, select Object. Goto Edit mode, select Face. Set Viewport to Texture. Split screen, make left part UV Image Editor. Select Face in 3d screen, Press U and Project from view. Shape appears in UV panel. So far so good. Load up image file in UV Image I notice at this point tuts show my image in thier objects in the 3d view when mine does not.
In fact tuts show painting and messing around in the UV window causing change in the 3d window and all I see is my selected face with a yellow border. Anyone know what I’m missing here?

As an update of this, I have suddenly worked out why I can’t see my image in the 3d window…
For some bizzare reason, the image appears on the flip side of the plane. I didn’t see this until I rotated my whole scene around and there it was. So my next question is how do I get it on the right side (the side of the 2d plane I clicked on)? Is there a button buried somewhere to reveal the image on the right side?

All faces only have one side (despite the evidence of your senses). Well, okay, they have an inside and an outside. So I guess they do have two. The hell with it–only one side can have a texture.

Each side of the face is always either “inside” or “outside”, which is ultimately an arbitrary distinction. The direction it is facing is called the normal.

You’ll see options in the button bar for “view normals”, which will put a little line indicating which way the face is “facing”.

You’ll also see “flip normals”, which is what you are needing here.

You’ll want to play with normals, as they are an important concept to grok in modelling.

They have a lot to do with smoothing.