Thanks! I don’t think any camera angle could fix it, the composition in general is rather boring. Hoping to do scenes with more character to them in the future.
To answer your question, all the plants were distributed along the sculpted ground using hair particles systems with their own vertex groups to control particle density. I created 6 different plants in ngPlant for the scene, which I uninventively named “small tree” (150 particles), “small fern” (1200 particles), “clover” (200,000 particles), “fern” (80 particles), “tree” (77 particles), and “grass plant” (800 particles). The scene obviously failed to render on my graphics card :P.
Thanks! For the water I subdivided a plane and added a displacement modifier to add the ripples. I made/copied a glass shader with absorption as the material, to add a subtle amount of realism. I could have just used a bump map on the surface, but I found displacing the plane looked much better.