Most broadly accessible video/audio format from Blender?

I’m trying to output a three minute promotional video made for a somewhat technically uninformed client. I’m looking for the audio/video codec combination that will allow me to make a video that is playable on just about any Mac or Apple product: Mac, iPad, iPhone, Windows products a nice addition. I’ve tried MPEG 4 with MP3 sound, I’ve tried MOV format with AAC sound, and there’s always some problem for them. I’m looking for the most bare-bones, plays on anything video format and there’s just not a lot of info out there. They can’t install VLC (lack of technical skill) and have to deal with installed codecs and formats. Any suggestions?

I recommend that you produce your “final print” as a collection of (at this point, probably non-multilayer) OpenEXR files. These pristine digital data files contain the exact numbers that the renderer finally produced.

From this one source, now construct individual Blend files which use the video editor to produce each of the “deliverables” that you need to post to the Internet and/or send to clients. At this point you can do whatever compression, color-adjustments or what-have-you in order to serve the needs of that particular “deliverable.” Since all of them originate from the same pristine, un-compressed source, you can do whatever each case requires without ever “losing” anything.

Note that I specify OpenEXR because it is a file-format that is expressly designed to contain raw data. No “video processing” has been done to it: it is high-resolution and lossless. You do not want to base your deliverables on any sort of “video file,” because digital errors, e.g. from “re-compressing,” accumulate very quickly. The source-data is always the same, and pristine, and the manufacturing process of each required deliverable is independent of all the others.

The aspect ratio of your renders (width vs. height) should always be larger than any deliverable, but comparable to all of them, and the BPI density should be higher, so that your compression and other steps are always "sampling down." You can always safely throw data away (just this once …), but of course you can never generate data where none exists.

The case with audio is the same. I recommend using a good DAW program to do whatever audio manipulation that you need, again from a pristine master source, so that you can simply bring it into your project(s) “straight.”

hello,

You can try :
container Quicktime or mp4
video codec H264
audio codec MP3

Another possibility is to do a quicktime with jpeg codec, that is a image sequence embedded in a quicktime, that exist for a long time and works, but it may give a large file, maybe hard to read on mobile.
Not sure it’s doable with blender, but any other quicktime compatible application (AE premiere) should do it. A long time ago I use Cinerella on linux to export to that format.

Both format aren’t perfect for final delivery but it can works for what you need.

Cheers,

MP4 container, H264 video codec and MP3 (or even aac) audio codec. This combination AFAIK is safe for the web and for any modern Windows or Mac fresh installation.
As far as source @sundialsvc4 gave a good hint: rendering to Exr sequences is the best choice. Then you have that raw source to do whatever and export to final deliverables