Most common mistakes on modelling?

Hi,
after few months of starting an project and rejecting it annoyed, I am still convinced I can learn how to model something that looks actually quite good.

My main question to this thread is:
What are most common mistakes you can do while modeling something and which do commonly ruin a mesh?
What can I look for to get a better mesh?

I appreciaty any answer that can help me with getting better on modelling.
Thanks Techie

Pressing E to extrude then pressing ESCAPE thinking it would cancel the extrusion is a very common mistake leading into doubled vertices and shading/normals problems, because counter-intuitively it unfortunately does not cancel the extrusion, it applies it.

Pressing F with two verts selected to split a face. This will actually create a free flaoting edge that is not connected to the face at all. This is extremely difficult to visually detect later. Use J to split faces.

Ok, thank you for the answers. If a little diffrent question:
How can I improve my modellings skill? I know I have to practice anyway, but is there something that will help me?
I’ve heard something of topology, but don’t have a idea how to use this acknowledge…

Thanks Techie

Hey Techie,

Well the quickest way to learn how to Model is to find something you love in your Room/house. Take it (if it is small enough. Pictures if too large) Then begin to remake it in Blender… Now it sounds stupid but it is how I get some of my stuff done… And I suck at the whole creativity and blender thing… But when I really want to make something I like, I will make it to the best of my abilities. I will either teach myself or look up how to do certain things just to finish it. Stupid I know… Anyway… That’s my 2 cents.

Topology is not a sort of advanced technic and which you can use or not, it’s just how an object is made.
You can have objects with a good topology, or with a bad one, it depends on the object and of the purpose for which it is intended.
Apart from some general rules that you can learn everywhere, for instance at blendercookie.com, show us a specific object and maybe we could suggest a better topology, if it’s the case.

paolo

Interesting, won’t remove doubles detect this? Is it only for vertices?
This can also be useful if you want to connect two vertices to form a new edge, or is it somehow not proper? not sue what you mean by “free-floating”

Remove doubles removes only double vertices (and any double edge/face those might form).

F creates a new edge/face. J connects (joins) two vertices, splitting any edges/faces along the way.

Middle column: edge created with F puts a floating edge on top of existing face
Right column: edge created with J splits the existing face

The same but going over two faces

JA12 you are in the pantheon of Blender-all-mighty Gods.
Thank you

Another big mistake that I had to learn the hard way is going too detailed too quickly. Try to keep your mesh as simple as possible during every step of the modeling process. If you start putting too much detail in right away, your mesh will become very messy very quickly. This goes back to the previous post: do research and make a plan! Don’t try modeling a human without researching muscle structure, facial expressions, human proportions, etc. modeling an airplane? Find blueprints of the type of plane you want to model and use them as a template. All these great models you see here and in the professional realm are not created from someone’s memory. Remember: don’t be afraid to make mistakes or to have to delete a large chunk of your model if it starts to get bad.

1. Always model in quads.
  2. Never move vertices first. Move faces first and then edges.
  3. Extrude is your friend.
  4. Loopcuts too.