Most efficient way to set up dupliverts & hide the original

I’m trying to figure out the most efficient way to set up dupliverts & hide the original.

Every time I’ve ever wanted to use that feature, I’ve always wanted to hide the original object that’s being duplicated.

Still haven’t found a better way than:

1. move it very far from any camera, but keep it visible because blender doesn’t let you hide it.
  2. remember it’s visible and check, later, to make sure you aren’t accidentally letting it show in a frame.

Step #2 is a serious pain. I don’t see a way around it.

Tips, advice, please? The manual offers nothing about this that I can find, certainly nothing on the page about dupliverts.

1. remember it’s visible and check, later, to make sure you aren’t accidentally letting it show in a frame.
    The original duplicated object does not get rendered so does not make any difference if you can see it in the viewport unless you use the OpenGL viewport render. The duplicated object id the torun inside the cube, which along with the cube is not visible in the render

Richard, thank you for your kind assistance today, with this question and with my earlier post. I appreciate your kind patience.