most wanted features for future blender

Well, well, well…SITS BACK AND THINKS

1. A revamped material system, replacing the current (crap) one with one of those cool ‘connect-a-node’ ones, ala XSI.
  2. Physics, and better particles (Theeth?? HINT HINT :D)
  3. A decent import/export to Unreal and Half Life engines (both models and maps)…
  4. A crowd system
  5. A renderer which puts Renderman to shame

I don’t ask for much, do I? :wink:
LethalSideParting

1. MORE STABILITY. I run a plain jane redhat 7.1 system and often freeze up initiating renders, or segfault editing wireframes. I hope this resolves itself once I’m using my own compiles rather than pre built binaries, but I wonder how many people have frequent crashes. A bug-daddy type reporting feature would be good when blender dumps out.

2. TABS - to quickly switch between screen set-ups. The next best thing to multi-monitors would be to set up views in one tab, tools in another, etc.

…and yes subsurfed UV-mapping,which means your textures won’t get smoothed if you convert a mesh to a subsurf.the smoothed textures especially texts,signs etc. look ugly in subsurfs.

and again why not muscle etc. for realistic char-anim.

1.) 2D-scaling
2.) Nurbs stuff, like project curve to surface
3.) Differend colored layers (or is it possible, yet ?)
4.) KI module to make my renderings look as good as yours or even better. Is this possible, pleeeeeaaaaaase.

• Vertex weight for subsurf

• Shaders for Non Photorealistic rendering( cel-shader or toon shader?)

• import / export facilities… (export to flash SWF format?)

• Undo Button or History List

• Cut / Knife / Subdivide with more possibility

• Extrude along normals

• Possibility to be placed in a view where a selected face becomes the reference plan / axis

My wish list:

• better renderer! A scanline/raytraver hybrid would be great
  • to compliment the renderer, REAL shaders, so not everything looks like plastic, oh and anisotropic filter too
  • import/export to other formats

BTW: why do I see people saying that Blender shouldn’t be bloated, so many times? Come on, Blender is as small as it gets! We can’t wish for eternety that it should fit on a floppy. I’d say that a ~5MB shouldn’t be too bloated for Blender, I mean look at all the features.

Zsolt

cuastics! oh i just need them so bad! =D

1. caustics
  2. fur
  3. dof!
  4. maya paint effects! and lightwaves hypervowels and skytracer!

::smiles::

I’m not sure if it is what you want, but blender already has Tabs: Ctrl-Left/RightArrow

Extrude (E-Key) and afterwards Alt-S or [shameless self-promotion]my cubism!-script: http://www.fen-net.de/wolfram.kraus/bskript.html (page german, script english)
Well, it’s not really whatcha want, but it is fun to play with ;)[/shameless self-promotion]

1.Body dynamics
2.Physics
3.Vertex Weight Mode for SubSurf
4.Full Python support
5.Built-In Export Scripts
6. better character animation tools
7. Better UV-Mapping like u can move,rotate,scale it with Mouse + UV-Mapping in SubSurf mode…

Hey I am easy to statisfy :smiley: :smiley:

cya henrik

1. Undo… I just can’t live without it :slight_smile:

2. I don’t know what it’s called “officially”, but I’d like to be able to “drop” objects in Blender to surfaces… if any of you have used Bryce, you know what I mean.
    What I mean is, that if you have a plane and a sphere for example, and you have the spehere above the plane, you could hit a button called “Drop” (fe.) and the sphere would “drop” on the plane, after which the sphere would be happily lying on the plane.

3. infinte planes, so you wouldn’t have to scale the regular planes to insane lengths.

4. Ability to generate realistic terrain features, like in Bryce (and similar to Povray’s heightfields). Current “noise” option is just not enough.

5. Helluva lot more procedural textures!

6. Better control on fog, preferably with “foggy” materials. Needs explaining? Ok, materials that could be applied to. fe. plane and the plane would look like fog or mist or clouds or whatnot when redered.

7. Ability to randomize the locations of vertices as per Subdivide Fractal without having to use th said operation.

8. Control over all random operations’ seeds.

What I would need is better implementation of VRML so that blender could be a more useful tool within the VRML community.

Although Blender can import and export VRML 1 and 2, it doesn’t handle some entities (like IndexedFaceSets with more than 4 vertices) all that well.

VRML is not a fileformat for the future as I see it …

so why bother…there is Blender’s own realtime engine for
webcontent…

I know most of the blender community hates me, and my opinions may not weigh too much on the grand “vertex scale”, but what the hell:

We should definately start from the basic needs of the program before adding more and more specialized features in my opinion–

1. Definately the UNDO button, to give us ease of use, thats by far the most requested, it seems.

2. After fixing the undo button, we should see a flow of more mesh editing tools, and more of an organized menu from which to pick from… (vortex, improved warp functionality, auto-semmetrical mirror in 2x 4x and higher, auto-shapes library to create such premade meshes as cogs or importable etc, a mouse-friendly or previewed spin/screw option, an easier one click “seam vertices” button…)

3. ahh once we have the mesh edits fixed up, we should move on to cleaning up the materials/textures so that they’re easier to create, as well as the ability to load premade importable/exportable libraries.

4. In the lighting edit mode, there should be a previewed object (plane,cube,sphere) and it’s shadow to see the effects of what we are manipulating.

5. Fixing the DAMN camera actuator in the game engine so that it follows height. WHY HASNT IT BEEN FIXED???

6. fixing the DAMN SOUND bug-- i havent been able to run it because it doesnt know how to use directx or something… everytime i load it, i have to have the no-sound trigger in there.

thennnnnnnnnnnn we should do the fun stuff like:

-Dynamica adding all of their specialized particle effects.

-Enhancing the game engine for ultimately a flexible easier use and higher compatibility, enhancing range of resolution etc… Adding viewer actuators, such as ->Built in mouse support for FPS-like controls…

ok i’ll shut up

zip

-RonC

I would love to see blender have a good raytracer and radiosity. I know most exporting is easier and hopefully better, but I want to be able to just hit F12 and see your pic appear on the screen.
Of course this is not necessary when there is excellent support for other renderers. But those export options should be very easy to use : you just export, fire up the external renderer, and see your pic appear. (or render from blender if possible).

I also want to see way more procedurals.

I’m suprised that more people arn’t suggesting this…

Editorial: I am a strong advocate of ‘top down programming’ style and that applications like blender should be created with extensibility in mind; meaning that everything should be modular (everything as a plugin ala’ max or maya) and the whole design should be considered in detail before one line of code is written (well maybe not before ONE line is written but you get my drift).

From my understanding, blenders current source base isn’t very modular (at least in the sense that an application like 3dsmax or maya is). I think a proper plugin api needs to be considered. Blender is then no more bloated than you want it to be, it just depends on how many plugins you have installed. Even then there are system calls to load dll’s on demand and not just at startup (at least in win32 api, and I’m sure in unix world as well).

If properlly designed implementing new features without breaking something else in the process would be trivial from an engineering standpoint. On the other hand, if implemented poorly everything gets foobared. For instance, say you want to implement a plugin that integrates an external renderer or one that complements the current one. But say this renderer only understands how to handle certain types of data/geometry (say for instance that it cannot handle subsurfs but subsurfs are implemented as a seperate plugin as any new data type can be added as a plugin). In a poorly designed system where there wasn’t a lot of thought put into it, this would create huge problems, you don’t want to write specific code into your renderer to handle subsurfs, that would be redundant. Furthermore you wouldn’t even want the renderer to have to have explicit knowledge of what plugin is associated with what datatype (although it might retrieve it through a query process if the main application determines that is the best way to handle the situation).

I won’t go into what the specific solutions for these problems might be (I am not arrogant enough to presume to know the best way either, I only have opinions about how I would go about it), I am merely pointing out an area that I believe if enough developers spend time on, will maximize the possibilities for everyone having there blender wishes fufilled.

And as always special thanks to Ton and the NAN crew for bringing us blender for the past 4 years. I can personally say that 99 percent of what I know about CGI is either because I learned it in blender or blender made me so hungry for more it prompted me to go out and seek knowledge elsewhere. You guys rock.

Zarf: we’ve been talking a bit on IRC about this, and that method (plugins) seems to be the prefered way to do it.

Martin

this will probably involve i big-assed rewrite, no? something on the lines of mozilla?

1. Raytracing!!! y compris caustics and all the goods that go along with RT.

2. Face/Edge/Vetex Select. The ability to hide vertices.

3. Polygonal bevel (or extrude a la wings). I hate having to extrude polygonal groups.

4. N-Gons

5. Undo

:slight_smile:

errr… what happened to Wkey -> Hide, or Shift-Hkey, or Hkey?!

Martin

vertex manipulation sucks. sorry, had to say it. wings and it’s modeling environment is really quite good.