motion trackingquestions: lens use do\s and don't\s

yeah I’ve already figured out that zooming presents issues, what about other lens features particularly with DSLRs like Auto Focusing, Image Stabilization-IS\ Vibration Control and such the like, how to handle that, I already have a 50mm and looking at 18-135mm with IS for my new t3i.

Disable IS for Tracking. With DSLR you should not move/pan/tilt to much while filming - otherwise you’re not going to be able to Track it at all. (Don’t know how it is called in English, but it’s about how the Camera records Frames. Each Line has a little time Offset - resulting in weird Motion in Motion)

Auto Focus should not be to much of a problem, except it’s very strong (from far to near) - since the focal length gets affected.

(Don’t know how it is called in English, but it’s about how the Camera records Frames. Each Line has a little time Offset - resulting in weird Motion in Motion)
With CMOS sensors you can get the rolling shutter effect with fast movement
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp_65IQ9U-Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17PSgsRlO9Q

just wondering, does any of the recent dslr has ccd or other non cmos sensor?

@bashi thanks for the info man much appreciated…bought track match blend so I know of the issues with rough footage and DSLRs some off my shot will involve a fair bit of movement so rolling shutter cant be avoided just minimized as much as is possible…did consider a canon vixia hf40\52 but thought the swappable lenses and low light capabilities of DSLR to be worth a bit of added caution when filming…we’ll see

My advice is to make some serious Tests before you shoot the “real” thing.

If you do make some Tests, you could Post the Results. Since i don’t have direct experiences with dslr/rolling shutter and Blenders Tracking. I’m involved in a Film that will be shoot with 5D II and might have some Tracking. I will have to do anyway some Tests. There’s nothing like doing it and learn how to deal with it first Hand :wink:

(About Zooming, other Tracking apps can deal with it, just so you know)

yeah they are test shots and there are going to be many…I’ll post whenever I can already found some useful info for setting up a DSLR to help with rolling shutter but as u know there no 100% solution