Mountain Scene

This was made following the awesome tutorial from BlenderGuru. Please give your criticism so I can get better.

It’s good to do tutorials and everything, but you probably shouldn’t post them in finished section. tutorials are just for learning principles and ideas. If you do something very different, still using this idea, it’s more impressive, and also there aren’t a thousand out there that look exactly like it. If you’re looking for crits, however, I might post in the focused critique section.

Sorry. I didn’t know.

Ignore him. People have been posting images based off of Blenderguru’s tutorials for a long time, and nobody has complained. It’s unfair for you to be singled out like this.

The end result looks fantastic.

I think this is simply amazing (tutorial or not)! The boundaries between reality and model really blur in this picture…

In principal what GraphiX said was good, as advise, now that you got this info into your brain think of something else of your own to make, and I agree your got a very nice result non the less, keep on posting your projects!

Great landscape, really!
Who cares if you followed some instructions to do it, it’s built from scratch nonetheless.

The landscape looks really great!!!

Very nice work.

Indeed very nice.

Agree with ‘Carrozza’.

I will be posting all my end results with or without tutorials.

Keep posting and have fun!

Looks very realistic

Really nice! I only have one criticism. Actually, it’s not what you did, but what Andrew Price did :smiley:
I finished the very same tutorial myself, and one thing that kept bothering me was the fact that snow tends to accumulate more the higher up you go. In the tutorial scene, the opposite seems to be true. Sometimes snow drifts will cause this, but in general, I’d say that there should be more snow near the top—not at the bottom. Of course, this is not a rule, just a subjective appreciation based on observation. See some examples of snowy mountains on this link.

How did you (or maybe Andrew) create the snow on the mountain?

the final image looks great!

rofl-copter

Andrew got the trick from Sebastian Koenig who got it from Andy Goralczk I believe…

the essence is to mix two materials using material nodes (rock and snow) based on how steep the slope is… this is tricky in blender as all coordinates are in camera space…

by adding sun lamp pointing straight down and having a third material in your nodes reference just this light in an exclusive light group you get a greyscale slope value that you can use as a factor in a mix node… feed it through a color ramp to make the “snow line” harder…

for more details check Andrew’s free video tutorial on blender guru…

Yeah nicely done, and no, it isn’t a new idea. It just looks cool because it isn’t as easy to do in Blender as in other applications. Thanks to Michael W for his sage advice, it will be useful in many ways. I’m more and more convinced that some of what appears clunky in Blender is there because you’re meant to make good use of nodes: definitely the thing to explore.

EDIT: Starting to play with this… can’t it be done with just a ramped Normal node? The lower, snow material’s normal output goes into normal input of Normal node, Dot output goes into Factor of Mix node. The sphere of light in Normal node is positioned at the bottom of the sphere. So far it seems to work although I might be missing something… that wouldn’t be unusual. :slight_smile:

SECOND EDIT: Actually, doesn’t work, it is as Michael said, just the view Normal. I’m having trouble finding a way of the sun light group to a material… I should be using Geometry right? But which input/output?

Apologies, Janbro for the thread hijack! I can see some obvious tiling on your “broken snow” image presumably projected down the view axis of the camera :wink:

Konfuse kitty: Yep, I also tried dot products with normal nodes… (as well as baking world space normal map and using blue channel… an I wrote a script to bake vertex colours with dot product of vertex normal and world z axis… but this group thing works best!

Here you see how the three materials are connected… (in one of my scenes I output the normal from the rock layer into both the slope and snow layers as an optional extra… depends if you want the slope to take into account the rock normal map or not! i kept it simple for this screenshot. because the snow is its own material it can be nice to have a different normal map there (or even try subsurface scattering!)
http://www.cowtoolsmedia.co.uk/assets/slope.jpg

In the above picture the “slope” material node is selected in the node tree(… in the properties on the right you can see the entry for light group and the exclusive checkbox… that makes the sun light in your slope group only affect the slope material and also makes it unaffected by other lights… you may need to check options if using ambient occlusion or environment lighting (turn off approximate…) also if you have “over hangs” you may wish to turn off buffer and raytraced shadows for the slope material to get accurate values under there!

As a final note, in cycles renderer things are much simpler! you can thankfully just do a dot product of the surface normal with the z axis to derive slope :wink:

Haha Michael, I just had that “Aaaah, now I get it” moment. I started to think I should be using Render Layers as that was the only place I knew of that has light group input. But this makes perfect sense and it’s going to be SOO useful… As I said in another thread, I found a reflection setup that does a good job of GI, but I was looking for a way to handle it within one render. This is it - thanks so much!

BTW, I don’t think this amounts to thread hijack, though it’s nice of you to be considerate. We’re here to help each other and those who read afterwards… there will be a lot of people who will appreciate this kind of info.

No, it seems I was wrong when I said I was wrong! The Normal noodle as mentioned works correctly, I’m having the same output from there as from the light group noodle. It does amount to the same thing. The key is geometry, the mountains need to be modelled properly for the effect to work as it should. That’s what threw me off initially - the snow looked right on the sphere and monkey but not so good on landscape. Now that I tried both approaches, I realize where the issue is.

The two pictures of snow below are one of Normal noodle, the other the light group. The Noodle shows Normal, but you can see I also had ‘slope’ in there for the other pic.

Attachments

…and what happens if you move the camera?

edit… just tried…yep, breaks… that’s because the surface normal is in camera space…

as you move the camera around your snow line will change location!

Don’t believe me?
Try pointing the camera down like a satellite shot!

LOL, well spotted Batman! Lucky I don’t do much animation but I should have thought of that. Now I know! Thanks again.

To bring this back to the OP somewhat, this little adventure into the noodles does illustrate how much work must have gone into the OP’s image. Janbro did well! And his image compares favourably with some other efforts I’ve seen on YouTube.

It’s also worth responding to Andreu: for a south facing slope, the snow is correct. You really only tend to get more snow at the top where the sun won’t melt it. That tends to be the rule under 3000 meters, over that, it’s chaos man!