Mountains using voronoi and cloud textures

I was reading the update from durian and I noticed a really nice picture of mountains

http://durian.blender.org/news/render-development-update/#more-2127

The author said it was just a plane subdivided and texture with voronoi and cloud textures. So I immediately went and tried my own version and got some really really ugly results.

I couldn’t get any sharp peaks, and couldn’t figure out if I should use voronoi or clouds as displacement maps. I experimented with both. I couldn’t get sharp peaks, and only got ugly round lumps. I also couldn’t figure out how to give it a slightly snowy look.

Anyone have any idea how to get something similar to that picture, using voronoi and cloud textures?

You need a build from the render25-branch to get this effect. this branch is developed by Brecht van Lommel and has the first implementation of microdisplacement.

oh yeah, per tile subdivision! how long did we wait for this? :smiley:
can’t wait to see it used at 4K resolution in Sintel.

So, could that one ----> Brecht’s render25 branch (64 bit) [27416] at Graphical do it?

and if you want that blend file, here it is: http://www.pasteall.org/blend/2141

I couldn’t get any sharp peaks, and couldn’t figure out if I should use voronoi or clouds as displacement maps. I experimented with both. I couldn’t get sharp peaks, and only got ugly round lumps. I also couldn’t figure out how to give it a slightly snowy look.

Anyone have any idea how to get something similar to that picture, using voronoi and cloud textures?

Use voronoi for the main displacement of the terrain, but inverse its effect. Then use clouds to add smaller variations and noise.

i disagree that those are good looking mountains, where is the erosion ? the varied landmass? looks exactly like what it is , noise + more noise,

@ Planaria - Dude, it’s a render test of the texture to show how the microdisplacement works, not a ‘real’ scene. It’s SUPPOSED to look like noise, noise and more noise!