Mouse and 3d mouse (3dconnexion) locks when in editing (edit mode) in 2.8

Hi, I was wondering how 3d mouse users are finding 2.8?

I have something in mind that I would love to see regarding navigating in Blender!
Basically, I would like to simultaneously use any editing tool including move, rotate etc while moving the 3d mouse. Nathan Letwory demonstrates this in a 3 min video back in 2011 (sculpt mode). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQha4QPo1E0
You can see the 3d mouse navigation and sculpting tools work very well together. Sculpting and moving the view at the same time. I would love to see the edit mode work the same way.
When an editing tool is active and in use, the 3d connexion mouse locks. But unlocks when the edit command has been completed.

Does the lockup frustrate anyone else?

Completely kills me. I still can’t find any explanation why this lock should happen even wtihout the navigator. It’s a thing that somehow goes without mention, but for me it’s amazingly strange. For a precise workflow with snapping this is a really disabling feature.

1 Like

Rhino, Sketchup, 3ds max = Fantastic snapping and Navigation with 3dconnexion (3d mouse support). Such a shame Blender locks up.

I’m surprised that there is not more people demanding the 3dmouse fix. I guess this lockup will not be looked at for many years to come. Any developers out there know if this could be fixed with a payed plugin that overrides the default blender 3dconnexion support?

Hi, Does anyone know when using the 3dconnexion 3d mouse, if the viewport lockups in Linux?

Yes, it locks up on Linux too.

In the meantime I found the Houdini way of doing this. Which I guess would be best for Blender because they can avoid changing everything - have one button on the keyboard serve as a temporary interrupt which allows navigation, then press again (or release) and you’re back in your command. I’m not really sure, but it seems reasonable

Hi Kobrad, I appreciate your reply.
Could you tell me how you add a temporary interrupt?

Such a shame. I will only be able to work with Blender when I can use the 3dmouse without the viewport locking up when I’m in the tool. It kills my flow while in a tool I cannot rotate, pan, or zoom the view. The sculpt tools work brilliantly…why not modelling tools? I personally think this is a bug and should be fixed.

You mean interactivity when doing transforms or other commands? I saw it once somewhere on a current todo list so it seems to be on a roadmap for better cad-like functionality. As a 3d mouse user myself, i do agree that it is quite limiting to move a vertex far away not being able to do it dynamically, for example. I was really happy when 3d mouse functionality was implemented for “C” selection.

I did create a proposal on right click select and it was mentioned about the axis locks when transforming, but there is no reason why axis locking cannot work whilst being able to manipulate the viewport

1 Like

Thanks for your reply dimitarsp,

That is correct. I would like to use transforms and other commands while 3dconnexion mouse in use.
'‘C’ selection helps.
I have just upvoted your Right-Click Select proposal.

I can slightly understand why this would be desirable while sculpting, but don’t understand the need for it anywhere else. I’ve never been frustrated that I can use middle mouse view navigation while in the midst of doing a move, rotate or scale command in Edit or Object mode.

In architecture and archviz it’s needed quite often in cases where a vertex, edge or face needs to be grabbed from quite a geometrically dense area (zooming in) and then moved far away (zoom out and pan/rotate).

1 Like

I can understand that, but I’m not sure why this is being discussed as a 3D mouse issue. The problem exists for normal mouse users too.

It’s true, the title is a bit misleading

It must be just what you are used to.
Myself, it is locked in muscle memory from way back in ‘Sketchup Make’ days. I notice the difference especially on tight deadlines. Using the extrude and vertex move while zoom/panning is a must for me.

I appreciate your reply guys. Sounds crazy but is really the only reason why I haven’t moved over to Blender.

It would be interesting to know if its a easy 2.8 fix for 3dconnexion and mouse.
It works in sculpt mode already!

Just updated the title. It was misleading. Thanks for pointing it out.

Does anyone know how Kobrad enables the temp to interrupt?

Hey, there is no interrupt in Blender, I saw it in Houdini. My idea was that this is the simplest way of porting it to Blender since it doesn’t require reworking anything, just adding the interrupt. In Houdini it’s just pressing space, you set your viewport, space again returns you to whatever you were doing. Pretty cool stuff

Great Idea.
Its a shame it has not been ported over.

An update to this post - CAD Like transform addon from stephen leger was released. It definitely worth checking out.

Simultaneously use the move, rotate tools while orbiting in 3dview.