move face in direction of normal

are there vector operations in Blender? ie., is it possible to move in the direction of a normal, rotate around a vector etc in mesh editing mode?

can’t seem to find info on this, although it is perhaps because the documentation for v2.35 has not been written yet.

thanks

Nope.

The only things you can do with normals is Shrink/Fatten (Alt-S) which moves vertice on their normals and Extrude along normal (new in 2.35).

More are planned for 2.36 in the transform rewrite.

Martin

thanks man. :slight_smile: that’s good to know.

i guess i’ll stick with wings for my modeling for now. i see incredible progress has been made with v2.35. better loop select and vector ops would make the mesh editor vastly more powerful. the new iso line display is simply stunning.

another question: is there a way to select an edge ring (not edge loop, edge ring)? i’ve scoured the interface but can’t seem to find a way.

Alt-b selects an edge ring

GreyBeard

why is it call a ‘vertex’ loop then? at any rate, i was only able to select a single edge using the the vertex loop command (alt B). test object was a cube.

what am i doing wrong?

On a cube how would it know which edge loop to follow, there are two possibilities. The corners of a cube have only 3 edges entering the vertex so the edge loop is terminated as it properly should be.
Try with the default UV sphere. For multiple edge rings press alt-b and then hold down the shift key when you press the mouse button. This adds the edge loop to your currently selected verticies.

GreyBeard

i think you and i might be talking about two different things. i’m talking about an edge ring and you’re talking about an edge loop :wink:

edge rings are called face loops in blender

I forget the shortcut, but they ought to be in the select menu

edge rings are called face loops in blender

No. Edge rings are edge rings, and face loops are face loops. You can’t use the term interchangeably. Face loops are done bly alt-clicking on an edge, but that’s just to indicate the orientation of the faceloop. Btw, you can select edgeloops the same way, you do not have to use alt-b. Just alt-click on an edge and there you go. Me knowingly there’s currently no way to select edgerings in Blender.

Hum… so what’s an edge ring ? Could you post a picture ?

Otherwise, you could also select faceloops with SHIFT+R.

For malefico:

I believe it’s an outer or inner lip/edge of edges along the periphery of your mesh object.

For example:

edge ring: the ‘edge loop’ that forms the outline of an eyelid on a mesh of a human face.

OR

Add>Mesh>Circle
Extrude and scale up
deselect all vertices
Now try to select the outermost or innermost ring of vertices.

I would be interested to know if there is a solution as well, so far I’ve only been able to select the middle edge loop using Alt_b (if I subdivide the extruded circle first, of course).

Ok. To clear out all confusion, this image shows the difference.

http://www.imagehosting.us/imagehosting/showimg.jpg/?id=58338

Add>Mesh>Circle
Extrude and scale up
deselect all vertices
Now try to select the outermost or innermost ring of vertices.

I would be interested to know if there is a solution as well, so far I’ve only been able to select the middle edge loop using Alt_b (if I subdivide the extruded circle first, of course).

Alt-RMB will select the outer and inner edge loops but for some strange reason Alt-b doesn’t. Another tip I read somewhere and now use frequently – using select non-manifold in the select menu will select just the edges of your mesh if there is no non-manifold part to your mesh.

To select an “edge ring” as defined above do a face loop select and then shift-Alt-RMB on the two edge loops to remove them from the selection.

What program defines “edge ring” as above? I have always assumed that edge ring and edge loop were the same things.

GreyBeard

What program defines “edge ring” as above? I have always assumed that edge ring and edge loop were the same things.

Wings and Silo are the only two SubD modelers I have any significant experience with, but they define edge rings as described above. Edge rings are incredibly useful.

For example in Wings, lets say I wanted to add two edgeloops around an eye in a head model, I would simply click on any edge in the ring, press g on the keyboard, and “3” to cut each edge into 3 equal lengths (adding two vertices), and press c to connect them all. voila.

I’m sure i could as you suggest, select a face loop and subtract the two edgeloops, then subdivide the remaining edges in the selection twice, then manually connect them all to form two edgeloops, but that’s a horrendous amount of work.

Do I just not understand the Blender workflow? Am I not “thinking outside the box”, as it were? What am I missing?

Thanks to all who have contributed to the discussion thus far.

For example in Wings, lets say I wanted to add two edgeloops around an eye in a head model, I would simply click on any edge in the ring, press g on the keyboard, and “3” to cut each edge into 3 equal lengths (adding two vertices), and press c to connect them all. voila.

To do this in blender you would just do two face loop cuts using the k-key menu popup – just as easy.

Do I just not understand the Blender workflow? Am I not “thinking outside the box”, as it were? What am I missing?

I think you are just trying to find equivalent commands that you used in wings to use in blender when you should rather be looking for new methods to achieve the same final result. I do a lot of adult education and I notice this a lot at work when people are forced to use a different software package from their previous job.

For instance if you had asked “How do I add some additional edge loops around an eye?” You would have gotten a quick and easy solution. In your previous experience however you used edge rings to accomplish this task so you looked to do it in the same way in blender and started this discussion about edge rings.

In general it is usually best to ask how to accomplish a particular task/goal from scratch if your previously used methods don’t seem to translate well rather than asking about the commands themselves.

That said, it seems the 3d community is divided into 2 camps. Those that use box modelling – starting out with a solid primitive that is cut and molded into a final shape (sculptors). Then there are those like myself that think more in surfaces – start out with a plane and extrude my form from that (like working with sheet metal).

If you are of the sculptor breed why not continue to model in wings? You can always import to blender for rendering and animation. At this point in time wings is still superior for box modelling although blender is rapidly catching up.

Hope this helps,
GreyBeard

I model in Wings, and the plans were t oanimate characters in Blender. Perfectly would do now (I bought another package for this, but could be doing with blender and would be a very nice workflow)

But I post to mention…I do a mix of those …like trends you say, greybeard. :slight_smile: I mean, I have worked in game companies, and as they let me use wings, I modelled there point by point using Wings, as there are ways for it if you do your own workflow, and it has reference image planes that are easily setup.

I needed that, as the game was intended to be realistic, so I had best chance to at least start from a 2 planes refs, extracted from real images. We used my digital camera and others in the studio.

When I was to model characters, there was freedom for me not to trace em, but they forced me to at least start from careful group of concept sketchs I also made, so in that time used box modelling, as for organic, and in Wings, is quicker. While is not the best to do in metasequoia (excelent for point stuff) or Blender. Anim8or people are majorly point to point modellers, and I have seen some really realistic and nice models there. Max has both spline and poly modelling… Though for box/“sculpt” modelling, for me at least is Wings or Mirai…It’s so quick for characters.

BTW, Blender is getting so exciting I may end modelling a bit with it :slight_smile:

But I rather would prefer (xsi is extremely good, I just still have that special pleasure of using a totally free tool :wink: ) if the main next improved area is what is demanding more…character animation… joint p…(I haven’t said it! :wink: I’m making progress…:wink: )

I mean, there so much modellers out there…i could fill a page with them. All very good. But what Blender does,bones, weights,(even a faked joint pinning, not free of problems) export to game engines, and render the anim…simply: No other tool for free.

OOoops running off topic. I agree with main opinion here. You have to adapt to new workflows. I am not worried bout how a tool does the stuff, but yes on how much stuff it can do…

I don’t have edge loops in metasequoia, and I have modeled loads of realistic stuff with it.Is not all about edge loops.There are many ways. I have used metaballs, point modelling, box modelling, patches/spline modelling or the type of smudge/bump painting of my amorphium and zb. ALL them have their specific use. I can say some methods are better for some type of models…but doing it ALL with a single method…may be not clever. I have mixed in wings poit to point modelling with box modelling (and would have robed a bank for having some spline birail stuff skinning) and really works best.

Oh Thank you, that’s much much clear. :slight_smile: Yeah, why not having that tool ? Otherwise I could live without it too…

In general it is usually best to ask how to accomplish a particular task/goal from scratch if your previously used methods don’t seem to translate well rather than asking about the commands themselves.

this is good advice, thank you. and your tip makes perfect sense to me now.

If you are of the sculptor breed why not continue to model in wings?.. At this point in time wings is still superior for box modelling although blender is rapidly catching up.

i think i will do that, however i’d still like to have a working knowledge of blender’s mesh editor so i can fix up mistakes, make refinements etc.

if blender can get those vector operations in for the next release, it could be a serious contender to wings. it would be nice to be able to model entirely within Blender, as the Open GL is much, much cleaner in Blender, especially with the new isolines. wings also lacks the ability to model on the subdivided surface directly and in real time. wings’ advantage is mainly workflow, i think.

cheers