Movie texture assigned to different faces of a cylinder?

Here’s what I’d like to do. I’d like to take a cylinder, i.e. tube (no end caps) and map different movie textures around the outside of the cylinder wall. Apples iDVD 08 has a template for a menu that looks similar. I’ve been trying a bunch of different things, but can’t get it to work. Can you assign an image texture to different faces on the same model? I know how to change color etc. but I can’t get the image to stick. I didn’t think I needed to UV map. Figured it would be simple, but for this noob…it ain’t.
Thanks for any help.
-Hal

The best way is to UV map, and the simplest way to do that is to use a separate material for each face. It’s trivial to UV map a single face (no need to unwrap).

I got the video UV mapped but when I render, I can’t get the video to play through on render.(stuck on 1st frame) I think I have everything set up right in the image properties window like frame count, etc.

I guess I’d have to take a look at the .blend file to know what might be going wrong.

You’re using texface textures. If you use proper material textures, it will work. Go to the material, add a texture, make it an image texture, and select the movie from the menu. I couldn’t get your movie to play (probably I don’t have the codec) but I tried your file with a movie that works for me, and sure enough, using only texface mapping the movie stays on the same frame. Just make a material texture.

I’d also suggest making the material shadeless, but that depends on the effect you want.