Movie trailer: Ubi Revera

Me and some friends have been working on a film project for about seven months, now. It is finally nearing “completion” (or, at least, as complete a state as it will ever be in). So, we put together a trailer:

http://www.brunslo.com/cessen/ubi_revera/ubi_trailer.avi

It’s in XviD format, and is approximately 17MB.

I must explain a couple of things, so that you don’t get too confused:
Firstly, SST stands for “School of Science and Technology”, which is the high school that me and my friends go to.
Secondly, the May 21st release date is the date that we are showing it to our school… it will actually be a bit later before it gets online.

Any and all feedback is much appreciated! :slight_smile:

Oops… just realized that this should have gone in the offtopic chat forum. Sorry about that. Perhaps an admin would be kind enough to move it?

Watched it! Definately looking pretty cool.

My pet peeve though, YOU DON"T NEED FULL CREDITS IN A TRAILER!! Jeez louise, 3/4 the trailer is credits. Took 10 mins to d/l on 1.5mb connect, so this is more annoying.

Once I got over that, it does have a nice mystery to it that makes me want to see the movie. Besides the standard issue large guy with ponytail and beard ala Silent Bob, the other actors look worth watching.

Can’t wait to see the full, good luck on the presentation!

I agree with you about the credits. Unluckily, I had no say in the issue. I’m just the humble Director of Photography.

nice work

some takes are pretty good, realy good, some few are to much hand held and amatuer like.

no offense i just saw that you have to different filming styles in your movie.

what is this all about?

claas

You’re the DP? That’s really nice work. In fact, before I came back to this thread I was thinking that the thing that really stood out in this trailer, as compared to other “amateur” works I’ve seen, was the professionalism and high quality of the shots themselves. Very impressive.

And not to imply that it’s the equipment that makes the movie, but what were you shooting with?

the best equipment can produce scrap when the camera man is bad.

indeed some shots are really very good!

claas

me like, very much :smiley:

Very well presented…except of course the addressed problem about the credits. Also, kudos on the shooting, i find no problems with ANY of the takes. I just finished my video presentation too for college, its nice to see others’ work. Pretty good soundtrack, too.

Heh… the difference in filming “styles” (i.e. proffessional vs amature) is due to three things:

1. Experience. We’ve been working on this film for about seven months, and the cinematography has, obviously, improved over that time as I’ve gained more and more experience. It has less to do with shot design than with knowing how to set up the camera to achieve the already designed shots.

2. Locations. Some locations were better than others in terms of the variety of places that we could put the camera. Also, some locations had better lighting than others.

3. Equipment. We don’t have a dolly (or, at least, not one that doesn’t cause too much jitter), so all moving shots have to be done hand-held. We would have very much liked to have had a good dolly to use. We would also have very much liked to have had a steady-cam.
    The camera we are using (A Canon GL1) only has one lense, and thus very zoomed-in shots and wide-angle shots are not possible, even if they would be best. Also, the camera’s fstop, exposure, and gain options are more limited than we would like (though they are still much better than most any other consumer digital-video-camera out there), which limits our abilities to balance the brightness, depth-of-field, and motion blur of a given shot.

For those who are curious, we are using a Canon GL1 digital video camera. We are doing post-production on all of our footage, including cropping and extensive color-correction. We are also going to loop (dub) our entire movie because of background noise in the raw footage, and because of the generally low sound quality of the built-in microphone of the camera.

Wow, this looks great. Can’t wait to see the full film!

b01c

Well, Riskbreaker, even if you don’t find anything wrong with any of the shots, I do. I would very much like to go back and re-shoot some of the earlier shots we did if it weren’t for time constraints, and just generally not actually wanting to put the energy into doing so.

As for the sound track, the music for the trailer isn’t actually ours. It’s a cut-down version of a copyrighted song. We’re hoping that since we cut it down, we won’t get sued… :wink:
The actual movie is going to be scored only with our own original music.

Here is a sample of some of the original music from the movie. It was written and synthesized by Soren Laulainen (who, incidentally, is also the lead actor in our film).

Futility
http://home.comcast.net/~soren007/futility.mp3

My Dear Guardian, Mr. Holbrooke
http://home.comcast.net/~soren007/holbrooke.mp3

Fade
http://home.comcast.net/~soren007/fade.mp3

In case you wanted to know, the music I used in the trailer is from a group called “E.S. Posthumus,” and the track title is “Harappa.”

Regarding the decision to put all the credits into the trailer… if I were making this trailer for the masses (which, admittedly, I was not) … I would not have displayed 25 people’s names like that. I did so, to convey to my fellow classmates and teachers, just how many of them were involved in the project – and this only works because they ACTUALLY KNOW the people in the credits. The teachers can look at it and say, “Oh, that one kid from my Geometry class is in this film, and hey, this person is, too! Wow! It’s amazing how large of a cast this student film has!” Please understand, most of what has been produced at our school (and I’m talking about film projects, here) – only involves maybe half a dozen students. Not two dozen. So, yeah. That section of the trailer is not meant for you guys, per se.

Have you heard about SteadyMove. I have never used it but maybe it is worth a try.

That steady move software does look very promising. However, it costs money, which is something that we are very, very short on. Also, it is a plugin for editing software that we don’t have, so we would have to buy that editing software as well in order to use it.

But thanks for the link: it’s very interesting! :slight_smile:

Have you seen this site about building a steadycam for $14?

I found that web page a week or so ago, and kicked myself for not finding it sooner. Unluckily, we’ve already completed all of the non-stationary filming we’re going to do. Perhaps I will build one and use it in future film projects.