Moving Multiple Vertices Overlap

Sorry about the title, but I changed my views as to what I need to do.

I have a subdivided face on an object, and I really want to join the subdivided parts into one face. Is this possible?

The object I made I wanted to divide only along certain parts, but the loop subdivide tool divided it everywhere.

if you select more than one vert press w>merge and it will marge all of those verts

Doing that did make the vertices disappear, but I lost the square face; it turned into odd angled vertices connecting to a point.

To make myself clear, let’s suppose I have a singe face which is subdivided, as in I just applied the subdivide tool to a cube then did nothing. For one face, is it possible to remove the subdivisions and restore the face to not being subdivided without affecting other faces?

Is it possible?

if you select all the extra verts first and one of the original verts last and then do w>merge>at last, that should do it

There is no “at last” option. I only have “at center,” “at cursor,” and “collapse.” None of these work as I would like.

Oops. It looks like I may have spoken incorrectly. I somehow associated “edge” with “vertex.”

The face of the aforementioned cube is only subdivided one-way, so there are no vertices in the middle of it. I want to remove the edge that subdivides the face.

Blender works only with quads and triangles, which is to say faces with four vertices. If you subdivide a cube, you subdivide it from 6 quads into 24 quads. Each “edge” of the cube is actually two edges. You can’t make one side a single face with the other sides being subdivided because that one face would have 8 vertices. Does this make sense?

If not, I may be misunderstanding what you’re trying to do. It might be best if you include an image making it clear what you’re after.

<edit>

The face of the aforementioned cube is only subdivided one-way, so there are no vertices in the middle of it. I want to remove the edge that subdivides the face.

If this is really all you want, and there are no other faces involved, or if the edge you want to remove is part of a continuous loop you want to remove, then alt-right click on the edge (this will select the whole loop, if there is one) press X and select Erase Edge Loop.