moving using vertices

Hi blender community.

First time blender user here. I’m an architect by trade and have been going over myriads of tutorial on youtube and whatnot in order to improve my 3d-visualisation skills w/ blender.

However, one major gripe i have is not being able to move an object using a vertex. As I mentioned, I’m an architect and i just can’t stand the fact that the G command doesn’t allow you to select a vertex to move the object. This leads to objects not really lining up.

Perhaps I’m missing some all important command but I want to move my object by using a vertex!
Since i’ve only used blender for a couple of weeks, I’m really a novice.
If someone w/ more experience can shed light on this issue, it’ll be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I’m an architect and i just can’t stand the fact that the G command doesn’t allow you to select a vertex to move the object.
What do you mean exactly ? Why is this important ?

This leads to objects not really lining up.
In what way ? What do you want to do

Are familiar with the difference between Object and Edit mode?

imagine if i have just made a door opening (a hole in the wall). I downloaded the door from a door manufacturer’s website. I want to move the door into the opening. It would simply be way easier to move the door by its top left vertex to the door opening’s top left vertex (provided that they are the right sizes) rather than the string of command G, Z, G, Y, 3, 7, 3, G ,Z (moving along the z and y axis, side view and etc).

Ever used Vertex/Edge snapping - On (magnet off) in Object mode- grab with mouse cursor near where would be vertex of interest and click Ctrl while moving near to where would be vertex to snap to? Sometimes needs several moves to get done…
Btw, question to Otto_Lai too.

hey eppo, thanks for the help.
Yes, this makes sense and it definitely is what i’m looking for!