I just read this thread: http://www.networkworld.com/news/2006/120606-microsoft-research.html
How can MS be employing so many PhD candidates and still not be pumping out original ideas? This article can’t even list one!
I am curious, does anyone know of anything truly original that Microsoft has ever produced? I honestly can not think of one thing.
- GUI - Xerox did that first
- Direct3D - SGI’s OpenGL did that first
- Spreadsheet - Visi did that first
- 3D accelerated user interface - Apple did that first, then XGL…
- etc. etc. etc.Is there anything significant that Microsoft Research has contributed to the IT community? It seems to me like it is just wasting someones time and money.