MTL Blender Conference Presentation - CALL FOR CONTENT! -

Hi, everyone! :slight_smile:

The North American Blender Conference 2005 will be held in Montreal on October 15th and maybe 16th as well(more info: https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45860 ). This year I have decided to go and I have also decided to make a 15 minute long presentation which showcases the blender game engine at its finest! The presentation will consist of a 15 minute long video reel featuring many well-designed game projects as well as tech demos which showcase blender being pushed to its limits…

So, if you have any game projects you are working on or you have any tech demos that you would like to make for this PLEASE post a reply! Remember, the conference is going to be attended by quite alot of blenderheads and not only will this be incredible exposure for the game engine in general, it will also be great exposure for your project! :smiley:

Since this is going to be a video presentation I would like all who are interested to make a short video which showcases the best looking, coolest, or most interesting parts of the project they are working on. If you are interested in doing this then immediantly notify me by making a reply so I know you are interested. There may be a short slideshow of screenshots too to fill any extra time, but I doubt it…just in case however, if you are interested make a few sceenshots too…If you ONLY have screenshots and cant supply me with video content I’ll still consider putting them in the video, but I’m mainly looking for video content right now. If you are chosen to be featured in the presentation you and your team(if you have one) will ofcourse be given credit for anything you submit and if you have a website it will show up on screen momentarily…

Anyways, here are the parameters that I want for each video:

Format: .avi(DivX)
Length: try to keep it under 4 minutes.
Resolution: NTSC(720x540)
File Size: keep it as low as you can without sacraficing quality.
Notes: please keep ONLY the game/demo’s realtime view in the video…keep anything outside of the realtime view cropped. Please make sure the framerate, profile, debugging info and any other realtime info is kept hidden.
DEADLINE: The deadline for submitting any content is SEPTEMBER, 20. I cant accept anything after this…I do need time to get everything together. :stuck_out_tongue:

SUBMISSIONS: This is a list of everyone who has submitted me content or has expressed interest in being featured. Remember, if you are in this list you MUST send me your content no later than the 20th. Also, if you are on this list feel free to contact me either through this thread, PM, or email when sending files or discussing issues. I’m also available to discuss any questions you have or collaborate on anything on MSN Messenger([email protected]). :slight_smile: I can also provide web space if you cant find any…

lemmy - Moonlight
lemmy - lighting bloom effect demo
Peter - Hellstation
Peter - pirate game
numaQ - L.O.S.T
goldentaiji - Blender Community Game Project
erwin - physics demo
erwin - robocock
gg7 - Brawler
ST150 - Transcendent
Dr.Who - Space Guards
mataii - zer0.Consequences
snailrose - multi-texture demo
ST150 - Space Assault
ST150 - Shooting Gallery
ST150 - Airdale
ST150 - Vertigo
TomorrowMan - stylized graphics demo
saluk - unspecified
mpan3 - various design demos
TomorrowMan - faked cell-shading demo
PlantPerson - Zark
nandoo - mini race game
Bogey - project screenshots
TomorrowMan - stylized graphics demo 2
He-Blend - The WesterWind
Doc Holiday - Twilight Quest, Barbarian Dungeon, Bottle INC., and Aus die Maus!

(all submissions have been received…no more content can be submitted.)

Remember, if you want to be a part of this or have any questions PLEASE reply to this thread! :slight_smile:

P.S.: admins…do you think you could sticky this until the conference is over

Cool! :smiley:

I’m working on the redux now. :slight_smile:

BTW, do you want edited (i.e. fades, cuts, etc.) video, or just plain footage?

In addition, if you are going to be including names, make sure to include mine. :slight_smile: (Kellen Morimoto)

Hi,

I can post you a video of Space Guards comming week.

Cheers,

Doctor

Working on it boss! :o :wink:

Cool!

I’m working on the redux now.

BTW, do you want edited (i.e. fades, cuts, etc.) video, or just plain footage?

great! I cant wait to see it! :smiley: Well…if you edit it yourself it will make it easier on me, but i’ll also accept raw video and edit it myself if you would prefer…

Hi,

I can post you a video of Space Guards comming week.

Cheers,

Doctor

great! I’ll put you down on the list then. :slight_smile:

Working on it boss!

hahaha, YOU BETTER! :< :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi all,

I’ve used camstudio to capture video, but the result is horrible ! :frowning:
For small screen captures (with good compression) , it’s ok , but not for full screen.
My version of camstudio (v 2.00) don’t allow me to capture in “full frames” (“without compression”).

So is there a camstudio expert out there who can share settings ?
Or do you know a good free window tool to capture video ?

Thanks

I’ve been using fraps for my videos numaQ - www.fraps.com

Only limitation with the free version is it’s limited to 30 seconds per clip and has a small fraps watermark at the top. If you want longer videos you can then use VirtualDub to string several clips together and encode them to DivX to reduce the size.

You can record upto 1152x864 with fraps, but you’ll need a decent computer to handle the amount of data it will be generating at that resolution. Games will stutter badly when you’re recording, but when the video plays back it will be nice and smooth.

Hope this helps.

How would you suggest I go about making such a video? I have some nice projects.

well, you can do video captures as described above…thats probably your best bet…you can either make one in-game while your playing it, or several in-game ones and edit them together, or you could make several in-game captures and send those to me and I could edit them…whatever…

If you dont feel like making a “video” then you could make a .blend or .exe for me of your current project…you could have a camera flying through the environment, or give me a discription of the areas you want me to capture and I could capture them myself…

so yea, if there is anyone out there reluctant about making a “video” then you could just make a .blend file for me or something like that…ofcourse you would have to tell me what you have in mind for your video and then I could capture it as best as I could…keep in mind though that I would really prefer if you have your scenes already captured on a video file, it just makes things easier on me…

If you’re interested, I can offer also some content for the conference.

I don’t know if you are familiar with my work, but you can see examples on my website.

Currently I’m working on a huge 3d interactive design project.

victor

I’ve used the script to make screen captures of each frame in the game engine, and the result is very good, once you captured all the frames that you need, you only goto the sequencer to make the video.

humm… and I’ll try to make a video demo of my game :stuck_out_tongue: , that sounds very cool :wink:

TomorrowMan: I’ve got another lighting demo on the way, which you can use if you want. :slight_smile:

Here’s a screen:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/lemsoft3d/LightingDemoIIScreen.jpg

If you’re interested, I can offer also some content for the conference.

I don’t know if you are familiar with my work, but you can see examples on my website.

Currently I’m working on a huge 3d interactive design project.

I went to your site, but I dont think it loaded properly…maybe its something with my browser or internet connection today…dunno…is the website working fine for everyone else?

humm… and I’ll try to make a video demo of my game , that sounds very cool

great! What I have seen from Zero Consequences looks pretty bad ass…thats what i put down up there…I guess that is the project you are going to make a video for right?

TomorrowMan: I’ve got another lighting demo on the way, which you can use if you want.

Here’s a screen:

sure…looking good so far lemmy. :slight_smile:

TomorrowMan: Victor’s website works fine for me, you have to click on the little globe in the bottom-right corner of the flash animation, and then select one of the “faces” on it.

BTW, victor, you have some NICE stuff on there. Excellent job. :smiley:

What I meant was, how should I capture the movie? I have a program called CamStudio, but frankly, the quality it captures is REALLY bad.

TomorrowMan:

I’ve finished capturing and editing the videos. :slight_smile:

The 7-Zip compression didn’t compress the video files hardly at all, so I just decided to go with an uncompressed archive (same size as the compressed archive, 45 MB).

Here it is:
Blender Conference Montreal 2005 Demo Reel

The Archive includes:

The light bloom demo (the original one)
The new light demo
The moonlight video (It’s a bit long (~4 minutes), so you can cut parts out if you need to. Also, the compression really shows, so I can make a better one (which would be about 75MB), if you want.)

PlantPerson:

Sorry, no material of Hellstation remake yet, but I’ll make a gameplay video of the old Hellstation and also a short video of my pirate game.

Yes :smiley: , I`ll try to make the video as soon as I can :wink:

lemmy:

All of the videos look great! :smiley: I might have to shorten the moonlight video clip later though…I might not have to, but if I do I’ll run the final edited clip by you so you can see what it will be like…hmm…7-zip didnt compress the files much? eh…oh well, I thought it would have since I’ve had great results with it in the past…I guess it couldnt really be compressed more than it already had been with the video codec…

Peter:

sounds good. 8)

mataii:

ok, cool…

Hey TomorrowMan, here’s a clip of the bcgp game. Siegel captured the video . %| Errr… it’s about half the resolution you wanted. Probably won’t get any bigger unless I get my hands on a camera or something and just record it when the games actually running.

http://www.bcgp.dyndns.org/public/UWRG/Video/UWRGBIG.zip

Jason Lin