Mudbox 2009, Incredible

Check out the new Mudbox 2009 Siggraph preview video, it is amazing. They really are coming up leaps and bounds, I think I will learn Mudbox instead of Zbrush. Also for anyone who wants to compare Mudbox 09 to Blender, I can tell you right now that Mudbox wins, by a lot. Real-time rendering with 17 million polygons in a fully lit and and shaded hdr enviornment, while still allowing full interactivity with the model. AMAZING.

http://area.autodesk.com/mudbox_preview#siggraph

You must have THE computer to have real time rendering :slight_smile:

It’s not like any computer that doesn’t have a high end GPU will be able to render that many polys. But it looks like it could give Zbrush a run for its money.

Also, just saw the video, if their super high end computer takes that long to jump to the highest level and create the advanced shading imagine how long any computer below that most artists use would take. Even there though it’s usable that could be overkill on the bloom.

Plus, I didn’t see any indication you can add geometry to the mesh like add new limbs. Blender may have the upper hand when it comes to editing and adding geometry to the base mesh without losing sculpting details. From the mailing lists the specific GSoC branch doesn’t even have the old multires code anymore.

Don’t get me wrong the sculpting is impressive and so is the coloring, but they show painting single colors, where’s the painting of textures of many colors?

EDIT: Did you know Blender’s sculpt mode works with GLSL, try it with an Apricot build.

Just so you guys know, he was only using a quad core with 8gbs of ram and an 8800GTS, all which is available for under a 1000 US dollars. Any decent commercial 3d artist will have a rig that is at least that good, and I would like to see any other 3d application make the jump from 4 million polys to 17 million in less time, nevermind the fact that it would crash most apps. I know for a fact that when you get that high, Max, Maya and Blender will crash when you try to import.

This is a sculpting tool, like Zbrush. You take in models made in Maya, Max, Blender and then sculpt on them from inside Mudbox. This is not a modeler, neither is it trying to be.

You can paint colors over other colors, and I am sure you can import image texture brushes.

Yes, I knew that. I don’t understand what is so hard for Blender users to admit that other applications have more capabilities in certain areas than Blender. Blender is great, and at the moment it is the only 3d app I know, but you guys are so in love with it it blinds you of the merits of other great alternatives used by professionals. 3d applications should be a tool, not a statement. Choose the one that makes things easiest for your work to flow.

Well Mudbox could be a good app. to use, if you have the money, note that many only use Blender because it’s quite easy on the wallet.

Anyway, Blender’s sculpting is better then it used to be, and you can work on a greater graphical level too. This screen here shows me being able to sculpt at 1.57 million polygons without partial redraw using an Apricot build.

You try doing this in Blender 2.47 without the aid of partial redraw. And this is without the GSoC project that’s completely reworking Blender’s sculpting tools and improving memory usage;)

EDIT: tried the same thing in Blender 2.47, I got to a similar amount at a similar speed, but it doesn’t have cool GLSL to enhance the sculpting and yet with the GLSL it runs at the same speed.

Great image CD!

No-one is contradicting you. Stop soap-boxing.

Cyborg Dragon,how you use Apricot build to speed up sculpting?
I have missed this,can you explain?
Thanks

I knew this was going to happen when I posted that. When you guys grow up and stop having wet dreams over Blender, you will learn to appreciate other things. By the way, the Blender Sculpt mode really is looking improved. Just so you know, the Sculpt mode in Blender is probably my favorite feature, right next to being able to animate.

Whoa! The only 2 things that really impressed me is the paint on Texturing maps and 17.4 million polys. :eek: Good thing CD came and showed up.

I don’t know if it neccesarily increases the amount of polys you can work with at a usable speed but with Apricot GLSL you can work in a graphically advanced way that includes per pixel lighting and different shading that can bring out detail in an object. It’s GLSL as a workflow tool more then using it for games.

I think the speed is probably the same because the memory usage is the same, Nicholas Bishop recoded pretty much the entire sculpt mode so it can use a lot less memory and if you look in the mailing lists the old multires code is no longer even existing in his branch.

I wonder what kind of streaming they are doing to pump all that to the 3D card.

Keep in mind that sculpting applications (including Blender’s multires) deal with virtual polygons (that is, not all of the millions of poly are in memory at once) while importing a model with that many polygon will try to allocate and use MUCH more memory. Sculpting applications would probably choke too if the base mesh was that high (for purely allocation reasons).

That’s not to take anything from Mudbox, mind you, they did an awesome job at optimizing the whole thing and that video is very impressive.

Martin

Well said. I know a there are a lot of fanboys out there drooling over hot supermodels, but when with they grow up and turn into fanmen, I’m sure they’ll see ugly chicks are where it’s at:cool:. The low maintenance and the ease of use are unparalleled.

random

here comes another blender vs. other apps war

Lets not make it come to that.

Thanks.

Martin

Thank you for the reasonable, realistic post, Martin. I’m aware of the virtual polygon manner that sculpting works in, memory allocation is the main problem, but with memory so cheap these days, and 64 bit linux, I’m expecting that it won’t be unusual for people to have upwards of 4-8gb in their system.
I really liked the real-time rendering ability that includes sculpting, that really must speed up the workflow. As for the optimization, that had me wondering as well. They firmly state that the recommended hardware is about the same as the reccomended hardware for Maya, but it can also run under lesser hardware, just not as speedily.

Thanks for your response.

Connor.

Trust me, I’d rather not have it come to that. I don’t actively search for flame wars.

Wow, that does look amazing. Last time I checked, Mudbox looked like a steaming turd compared to Zbrush, but now they’re equal, if not the other way around.

I think they’re not really displaying all polygons at the same time and use some kind of lod (for display at least). You can see things flicker a bit in the video when they zoom in/out (especially with the all shaded and bling part).

Could be the compression of the video though, but I really do think it’s got something to do with it, combined with streaming to / from the hard disk.

So how could Blender not draw all the polygons, while making sure all polygons are transformed with the sculpting? I know of backface culling, occlusion culling on a single object could work too. Or since the polys are so small, don’t draw a bunch of the subpixel polygons when they’re not being transformed, since you can’t see them individually, the model would still look solid.