Multi-Select and Edit Mode?

Hello,

I have a very basic question. :smiley: I’m working my way through beginner tutorials for the Blender, and what I’m trying to do is join two separate objects to one another in the “Die” tutorial here: http://www.blendernation.com/tutorials/blender-3d-beginner-tutorial-a-die/

This is the point in the tutorial where you select the box and hemi-spheres and use “Ctrl-J” to join them.

The problem I’m having is that when I select all of the objects using ‘Shift-RMB’, they get selected, but then when I go to edit mode (via the tab key), only the last item selected is put in edit mode, i.e. only its vertices become visible and yellow. The others stay pink as if still in object mode.

Given this, there is no way for me to select particular verticies from more than one object at a time.

I had this same problem with the “Castle” tutorial, when putting the door into the castle, but thought I would work my way through a few more tutorials to see if I would finally figure it out, but, alas, I have not been able to.

Can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong here?

Thanks!

If you do the Ctrl-J in object mode while both objects are selected, you should be able to edit them together when you then switch to edit mode. Is that what you did?

Select two or more objects in object mode ctrl-j to join. Select the new object thats made of whatever you joined and now you can put the new object in edit mode. In edit mode you can select all the linked verts of one of your previously separate objects by selecting one vert and hitting the L-key. You can separate selected verts with the p-key.

Thanks to both of you for the feedback. Don’t know how I missed the order of operations, but it did the trick. :slight_smile:

I have one more question. I’m wondering, is there a way to undo an operation? When I make a mistake, how do I recover from it? What I’m doing now is saving my scenes regularly, but wonder if there is an easier way to step-back.

Many thanks.

DO NOT stop saving your scenes regularly now that you know this, but undo is CTRL-Z in object mode or U in edit mode. I think redo is CTRL-Y, but who ever uses the redo command in any program?

Ctrl Shift Z

(mac users can also use Command in place of Ctrl)

Ctrl + Y does redo as well, as in most Windows programs.
To SmokinJuan:
Who uses redo? I do!! Very often too!

If you’d done it right the first time you wouldn’t have to redo it :wink:

btw, shift-u is redo in edit mode, so…

object mode
ctrl-z : undo
ctrl-y : redo

edit mode
u-key :undo
shift-u :redo
alt-u :undo menu

vertex paint mode (toggle only)