MultiEdit version 1.0: Multiple Objects Editing

Hmm… another thing I’ve noticed when testing. While the script does preserve the location of each origin point, it seems to lose the rotation and scale values. Is this a limitation, or am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: By the way, I’ve been so busy testing this, I forgot to mention how much I appreciate it! :slight_smile: THANK YOU for your hard work on this!

YOU’RE ACTUALLY RIGHT! God, you are a much better tester than me :stuck_out_tongue:
That could be a problem, moved to the Alpha 3 version to-do list! :slight_smile:
Anyway, that was the point of being posted on BlenderNation, to get some attention for people to test it…
I have to say that you have devoted great efforts for this. Thank you!

I’m glad I can help. You’re writing a truly indispensable tool, provided we can make it bullet-proof. Hopefully the goal is to make it 100% non-destructive and unbreakable. I’ll test as much as you need. And I’m super glad it was posted on blendernation, otherwise I may never have known about it. Oh, and just in case you missed my edit above:

By the way, I’ve been so busy testing this, I forgot to mention how much I appreciate it! :slight_smile: THANK YOU for your hard work on this!

Sweet! You’re right in time)
I have bought a couple :wink:

SWEET!!! Thank you SOOO much! That means a lot to me. I hope you find my addon very useful and if you want any feature for the next version, just ask and I’ll try to implement it. :slight_smile:

Too interesting and useful but,
it won’t work with “Curves”, it work only with “Mesh”,
It’ll be too interesting to edit many “Curves” and “Handles” at once.
Thanks for such great tool.

Wow, good thinking there, wonder how that would be possible. Thanks!

I just downloaded it, and I thought I’d ask if anyone has tried this with unwrapping? Being able to make a screen out of multiple objects and still unwrap a single image on it would be very helpful.

I haven’t done much texturing lately, to tell you the truth, but other people say it works great…

Hey man, your addon works great!

I’ve been using it for a couple of days in a project and the results are impressive: I can use it for VColors, UVs, sculpting… really nice.

@@jabbadagrif77, it lets you unwrap anything, create a new UV layer, create new vertex groups… after you are done you just hit the “exit multiedit” and it takes care of assigning the new UV/VColor layer to every object. Quite better than CTRL+J/ALT+J all the objects and risk loosing data, although the process of making the single mesh gets slow above 300K polys (aprox). At least for me! (i5-3470, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650).

The only flaw at this point is that it collapses Blender if enough geometry is used. Say for example a set of 30 objects with an overall count of roughly 1M polys. There it either takes more time than I can wait or plainly stops working :stuck_out_tongue:

Not to say that it is indeed a high input ^^’ Just wanted to thank you @antoni4040 and let you know this.

Hope this somehow gets into trunk!

Hey man, your addon works great!

I’ve been using it for a couple of days in a project and the results are impressive: I can use it for VColors, UVs, sculpting… really nice.

@@jabbadagrif77, it lets you unwrap anything, create a new UV layer, create new vertex groups… after you are done you just hit the “exit multiedit” and it takes care of assigning the new UV/VColor layer to every object. Quite better than CTRL+J/ALT+J all the objects and risk loosing data, although the process of making the single mesh gets slow above 300K polys (aprox). At least for me! (i5-3470, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650).

The only flaw at this point is that it collapses Blender if enough geometry is used. Say for example a set of 30 objects with an overall count of roughly 1M polys. There it either takes more time than I can wait or plainly stops working :stuck_out_tongue:

Not to say that it is indeed a high input ^^’ Just wanted to thank you @@antoni4040 and let you know this.

Hope this somehow gets into trunk!

Hi guys! I’m back at development! Here’s a rough road-map for future versions:
Version 0.3:
-Forbid more “MultiEdit enters” if one already exists,
-Preserve the rotation and scale values.

Version 0.4:
-Duplicate Material separately if linking is set to object and not objdata,
-Delete all unnecessary materials from new geometry,
-Ability to add another object(s) to an existing MultiEdit.

Version 0.5:
-Initial support for curves,
-Research for ways to make it faster,
-Further bug-fixing.

But now, I need to ask if anyone has any ideas on how to preserve both dimensions and scale? Or is one more important than the other? No idea… :stuck_out_tongue:

Finally, I’m sorry to do this, but I’ve created a donation button on my blog: http://digitalmmersion.blogspot.gr/search/label/add-ons
If you can, please leave a small donation.
I can’t promise anything, except from the fact that I will try to make my little add-on better… :slight_smile:

Version 0.3 is ready!
New features:
-Forbids more “MultiEdit enters” if one already exists,
-Preserves the rotation and scale values.

Link:

I hope you like it. More to come soon…

maybe some one already said this, but would be possible to preserve the layer/group option after the editing? thanks!

Sure, I’ll check that out! Next week though, kind of busy now… :frowning:
BTW, did you have the chance to try the new version? If you have any problems, please tell me. :slight_smile:

Hi!

First of all, thank you very much for this mod; is really helpful!

I have a problem with uv.

• I have several objects, with a regular material (non-cycles) applied.
  • I press “A” to select them all.
  • When I press the MultiEdit Enter button, some of them (always the same), become dark gray: They lose their UV maps.
  • If I select just those which become gray and press the button, there is no problem. All keep their UVs.

Let me try to explain further: Uppercase means OK, Lowercase means “gray-no UV”

---------------------

T U V W X Y Z

1.- “Press A to select them all, or one by one; is the same”
2.- “Press MultiEdit Enter” button.

Result: T u V w x y z

--------------------

U W X Y Z

1.- “Select them all, or one by one”

Result: U W X Y Z

--------------------

T V

1.- “Select them all, or one by one”

Result: T V

I can’t find the conection. I have no modifiers… The names are just mesh# I have tried to deselect
everything (vertex, faces…) first in edit mode…

Sorry for the long post.

O.K. I get it: it happens when meshes have diferent uv map name. In this case all of the meshes have just one channel, but in some the name is “UVChannel_1” and in others “UVTex”. Is there a way to preserve uv channels?

Thanks!

Hi there, I’m in the course of developing the next version, and I do have some problems with materials and UVs. But I’m not aware of your problem… Could you share the .blend file so that I can “investigate”?

Sorry, I can’t share it because is for a project. But I found what the problem is:

"O.K. I get it: it happens when meshes have diferent uv map name. In this case all of the meshes have just one channel, but in some the name is “UVChannel_1” and in others “UVTex”. Is there a way to preserve uv channels?

Thanks!"

Well, I have good news and bad news: the good news is that I’m working hard on the next version. The bad news is that I’m totally stuck with a terrible bug that I can’t quite understand… :stuck_out_tongue:
The problem is that the add-on goes crazy with more than 3 objects! 3 objects: works OK. 4 objects: all kinds of problems appear! I’ll probably have to go though the entire code, line by line, to find what the heck went wrong…
But if some good Python programmer can check my code and give me his opinion, that would also be great!
Kirk over… :slight_smile: