Thanks for your input, Dreaming, much appreciated.
I wasn’t using any bones because I was keyframing the transformations (LocRotScale) of my object. There was no apparent need for multiple mesh renders on a single object as far as I know, so I’m not sure what you mean by that – though I may need multiple shaders on various parts of my object in the future. I was just trying to keep the animations as simple as possible, eg rotating around some axes.
Anyway, I’ve discovered the action editor you’ve mentioned, and the ‘fake user’ thing. I kind of got it working, but there still are a lot of questions. I’ll possibly ask those later, though, because I’ll need to look into further optimising my workflow first. I can’t even really remember what exactly it was I did that made it work right now…
So in Unity I get 6 clips instead of the expected 2, and only 2 of those seem to actually do anything – provided I drop them onto the correct object in my scene. That feels like a quite a bit of overhead, so that will probably need some finetuning.
I also get a couple of NullReferenceExceptions in the console, in both SerializedPropertyBindings.gen.cs:74 and in AnimationClipEditor.cs:323 (both in C:/buildslave/unity/build/blahblah). This doesn’t appear to stop the animations from working, but it would be nice to know where this is coming from.
Will probably be continued – unless I just give up altogether, of course…