Multiple textures, one UV

I know you can use multiple images for one UV texture.

I’ve read the online wiki manual on texturing but it doesn’t work for me.

Then i’ve searched into the forum, but from all the results no one helped me…

It saids when you are in UV select mode and select one face and unwrap it (whatever the metod is) Blender creates a new UV texture layer, but it doesn’t. So I tried to create it by my way but then i don’t know what to do…

My model is already unwraped and i want to use at least three 2048x2048 textures for the only UV map.

Any suggestions?

elclanrs,

This doesn’t seem to be covered yet in the wiki, but here is some general info about the feature. You create another UV texture layer manually in the Mesh panel - see attached picture.

http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-243/multiple-uv-s-and-vertex-colors/

Attachments

What happens is when i create a new UVtex i don’t know how to assing a new image.

A little “inspirated” image explaning a example case :

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/846/cubomm6.jpg

elclanrs,

Have a look at this file. The only way I was able to make it work is to create different materials for each face, create uv map for each face, then add textures to each material, mapping to the UV layer - not using Tex Face option.

I could very well be missing something here, but when I created and uv mapped 2 different uv layers, having only 1 material index, I was not able to render using Tex Face.

http://obiron.blender.googlepages.com/uv.blend

from http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Using_UV_Textures

To map the image as a Texture channel (usually the top channel), in the Map Input sub-panel enable UV, and enter the name of the UV Texture (by default UVTex). This has the advantage that you many more options in the Texture’s Map Image panel, such as UseAlpha and repeat/mirror. You can also control how multiple textures are layered on one another by their order in the Texture channels, as well as how they mix with each other, animate their color influence, etc.
The previous pages explained how to create a set of UV Layouts for different portions of the mesh. For example, there may be one UV Layout for the face of a character, and another for their clothes…

Just use multiple material IDs.

Yeah, it’s the possibility i’m using at the moment, but i’m sure you can do it without creating another material.

What I want is to separate the UVmap into different pieces and apply them to the mesh as different images. That’s all !

What I want is to separate the UVmap into different pieces and apply them to the mesh as different images. That’s all !

i think, you’re only supposed to use multiple UVTextures if for every texture channel your UVLayout changes. but if you’re using the same UVLayout, why bother to use multiple UVTextures? you can reuse the same UVLayout. try exporting it using the script “Save UV face Layout” and you can use the generated image as guide to make your textures.
i hope i’m helping :smiley:

try exporting it using the script “Save UV face Layout” and you can use the generated image as guide to make your textures
That’s what I’ve being trying to do, I use the same UVLayout for two diferent UVTextures, but how can I use the two UVtextures on the mesh and mapped on “col” at the same time?

That’s what I’ve being trying to do, I use the same UVLayout for two diferent UVTextures, but how can I use the two UVtextures on the mesh and mapped on “col” at the same time?

hmmm… two textures both mapped to “col”? if that’s the case, is it not possible to use an image editor, say Gimp, to make a combined image of the two color maps you’d like to use?
if you really would like to use two textures both mapped to “col”, you might wanna try changing the “texture blending mode” in Map To panel.

A UV Layout can only have one image, although you can tile and animate the image. Since a layout is a bunch of arranged UV Maps, and a UV Map maps many mesh faces, a face can therfore only have one UV Texture image, and the UV coordinates for that face must fit entirely on the image. If you want a face to have multiple images, split the face into parts, and assign each part its own image.

Thats from the same page… and on the previous page:

Merging UV Maps

Each time you unwrap, Blender creates a set of UV Coordinates shown in the UV/Image Editor window. So, if you unwrap 2 sides of a cube, and then 3 sides, and then the other remaining side of the cube, there will be 3 sets of UV Coordinates or UV Maps. You would unwrap this way if you wanted to use three different images for each of those maps. However, if you change your mind, simply select all the faces (for example, all 6), and re-use the Archimapper, the UV/Image Editor window’s UVs->Unwrap menu item. The maps will be recomputed to be non-overlapping

I dont know if this will help at all, but its worth a read:
http://www.continuousphysics.com/lightmap/LightMapTutorial.html

Might help explain the use two different textures such as in the picture you posted.