Multiple UV mappings

I don’t keep up on Blender news stuff very well, so does anybody know if there are plans to add support for the ability to have multiple UV mappings for the same mesh?

Don’t know. Would be nice to have though. That way you could use the texture baker with default settings on the whole mesh and then add a per face, or whatever else happens to work, UV map. Theeth was talking about the idea a while back and sounded like there might be complications to deal with.

No real news here anyway. fwiw.

I think you already can do it (I’m pretty sure that’s what I did).

Assign different materials to the different parts of the mesh and uv map each material area onto a uv map. Then you just apply the textures to each seperate material.

Assign different materials to the different parts of the mesh and uv map each material area onto a uv map. Then you just apply the textures to each seperate material.

No, what I’m talking about is being able to unwrap the mesh’s UVs one way, and then unwrapping them a different way. You would then specify which UV mapping you would want to use when creating the texture.

Having multiple UV mappings for the same mesh comes in really handy when layering node based materials. I know the node based materials is in the works, but I hadn’t heard anything about multiple UVs.

Nah not possible yet.

I think the problem is that the uv coords are saved in the blend file for each face in that specific mesh. So it’s kinda like the uv data is always part of the face data. To make that possible in multiple layers would make the ammount of data needed for each mesh bigger, which is always a shame.

So probably the uv data would have to be sepparated from the mesh so that multiple sets could be linked. But then how to handle mesh editing/uv editing… and making sure it all stays matched.

Simply put… we’d all love it… but I think a major recode of that part of blender would be needed… wouldn’t be simple… and honestly I don’t see anyone doing it any time soon.

I would say… keep asking cause you’re not the only one that wants it :wink:

If that’s that case I guess this probably won’t happen for a while. Abstracting the UV data from the mesh would probably be a nightmare for backwards compatibility… :stuck_out_tongue:

not that I know of, but it would be cool. there are some nice enhancements to uv mapping that I have a suspicion will be coming soon…

I think it will probably occur, though.

This has to be the single most requested texturing feature I’ve seen here.

that and textures bakeinginside blender. It would be great for these kind of things, running an auto unwrap to add on AO or GI then another auto uv map for other passes, then later more uv maps for decals and top pasted items like scars and other such extra detail peices

You wouldn’t necessarily have to separate the UV’s from the mesh. Instead you could have an ordered list of UV’s per vertex. In fact, personally I think that sort of data structure would make more sense than creating a seperate UV data structure. UV’s generally only apply to a single mesh anyway, so such an abstraction wouldn’t really be useful–in practice I doubt there would be any reduction in the size of the data.