Multires vs. Subsurf

When should I use Multires and when should I use Subsurf? I never use multires, but one of my friends swears by it and says to never use subsurf because multires is faster.
Is this just a matter of opinion? Is there a reason pretty much everyone uses Subsurf over Multires, if multires truely is faster? :spin:

You should use multires for sculpting and subsurf for ordinary high poly modeling, this is not the whole answer though but i cant give you that much more details myself.

I never really sculpt, so I haven’t found much use for multires. He refuses to use subsurf, though, even though everyone, even the pro’s use subsurf.

I find it a bit hard to believe that multires is faster. Subsurf is based on a certain algorithm (and afaik, multires uses the same one) the difference is that multires actually creates and need to keep track of all those new vertices, whereas subsurf only needs to keep track of the original vertices and use the algorithm for the rest.

I have no actual numbers, nor am I sure that what I just wrote is correct, these are just my speculations. With low levels of subsurf, multires might be faster though, but again, I have no numbers. Personally I almost never use multires.

multires & subserf are two different things. IE you can use subserf in multires but you can’t use multires in subserf.

If would be like your friend saying he uses texture painting vs projection painting.

Funny you mention that, because he uses texture painting too…

multires allows you set up various mesh densities to suit the needs of a particular model, particularly for sculpted details as mentioned. You can sculpt at the various resolutions as if that mesh density was actually in effect, actually manipulating all the vertices, but for display purposes (efficiency in the UI mainly) you can then show a lower resolution.

With subsurf you cannot model using the calculated vertices, only the base resolution, which is smoothed when subsurf is enabled as if subdivided, but the additional mesh density can’t be directly manipulated as it can with higher multires levels, unless the subsurf is applied, which is a non-reversible operation.

i’v seen aonther thread and video on this
and seems that it s very usefull and very fast too for sculpting
and you can get mesh with well over 1 millions vertices and it’s still fast in 2.5

but if you want to see the model you have to be in scultp mode!

subdivision work fine for lower low / medium res models and can do nice rounded corners ect… and easy to work with med res organic models

but you have to limit the level below 3 or blender begins to be sluggish
to get high res ridges you need to subdivide it a lot and that’s gone slow donw blender!

so for high res model go with multire and sculpt mode

try to find some videos on 2.5 for multire and sculpting

thanks & salutations
happy 2.5

Multire is very handy to use for sculpting shape; rough shape and fine features. And, it is used mostly in baking Normal Maps. Subserf is used to just smooth thing over.