Multiresolution Troubleshooting

I’m unclear on something: are you supposed to never apply the multiresolution modifier??? When I set up the modifier for a preview subdivision of 0 and a sculpt and render subdivision of 3, I get a low poly count in object mode, but a high poly count in sculpt and render, like I would expect. But after I hit “apply” on the modifier, the model is low poly in all modes. All the detail has vanished in sculpt and render modes. :frowning:

For some reason my computer handles sculpting fine if I subdivide a model a few times and apply it so there are no active modifiers. But if I put a subdivision modifier on the model but don’t apply it and instead just leave it active in the modifiers menu, my computer starts lagging horribly and I can’t sculpt. So I’m hoping there’s a way to apply the modifier to retain the low/high poly counts in different modes.

Thanks!

But after I hit “apply” on the modifier, the model is low poly in all modes. All the detail has vanished in sculpt and render modes
When you apply the modifier you’ll get the subdivision level you have set for Preview.

So I’m hoping there’s a way to apply the modifier to retain the low/high poly counts in different modes.
What’s the reason you want to apply the modifier. The point of modifiers is that they are non destructive. Once you have applied them all their benefits (different levels) are gone

Thanks for the answer. :slight_smile:

Like I said in my first post, modifiers drastically slow down my computer for some reason. But if I apply the modifier, my processing speed is fine, even if the modification was complex. A low-poly model with modifiers makes blender lag, but a high poly model with no modifiers is fine. :S