muscle study

I decided to study muscles and the way they flow. but that’s not the only reason I had to post this tread. I also wanted to have a muscle-clad body to work with.

PLEASE, critique my model.

Attachments

update.

a bit on the shoulders.

Attachments

update.

worked on the back.

Attachments

You should use a reference pic…really, you should use a reference pic.

I am. And are you tracking me? you have a post (at least) on my 2 most recent threads.

here are the pics.

Attachments

update.

did some work on the back and armpit area.
made some abs.

Attachments

from my understanding your gonna want to look at some anatomy books, not just what the muscles look like when they are covered up with skin

Leonardo de Vinci used to study the muscles of corpses to better understand them, but all you should have to do is look it up on the internet

As MagicMyshu says, you’re going to have to study some anatomy to salvage this work. There are so many things wrong with it that it will wind up looking off and be essentially unfixable. Overall, the problems stem from the muscle masses appearing to be slapped onto an underlying human model like slabs of wet clay.

Granted, many bodybuilders do have a similar appearance. But in an actual human being, the muscles have an origin on a bone and an attachment on another bone either directly or with a tendon.

These attachements create an underlying flow to the muscles which shows up on the surface in sometimes very subtle ways. Easy to overlook, especially using a reference with such overdeveloped muscles, which tend to obscure the flow from bone to bone. However large or small a muscle is, you must know where it starts and ends, to be able to see the surface forms caused by those attachments so you can model them.

I’d recommend Peck’s Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist. I suppose you can find bits and pieces on the internet, but the bits and pieces probably wouldn’t be organized in a manner to teach you what you need to know.

Failing the Internet and/or anatomy book(s), stand infront of a mirror (half) naked and observe how your own body is constructed; it’s often easier to ‘study’ when you can prod and poke! But you’ll be surprised at what you find out.

You need to work on that christmas tree. I couldn’t help it its christmas. Lifters will likely no what I mean.