Mushroom forest solitude

Somewhere deep in a mushroom forest the mouse and the frog are having themself some nice fire cozyness. There’s nothing better than a slow and warm fire TV far away from everything to charge your batteries!

Started with this one around two months ago and have been working on it sloowly but steadly since I’ve also been working full time lighting mushroom zombies for The Last of Us ^^
This have been a really funny project since I’ve spent most of the time figuring out how to make a fully procedural mushroom forest. Because yeah, the mushrooms are 100% geometry nodes, with also the clovers and moss as well being noded. Did the grass also at first, but since I had a nice looking patch already on disk I used that instead.

I have a plan to make a behind the scene clip on this pretty soon, showing of my messy node tree and how I build these mushrooms form a grid, so stay tuned :slight_smile:

Mr Frog is something that I sculpted a year or two ago, but got stuck because of a bug where the multires displacement bake didn’t smooth the UVs, even made a bug report but no devs really responded so I abandoned him. But picked him up once again now and accepted that the UVs don’t smooth, made some tweaking and then finished up the rig (oh I do not like rigging!) Pretty happy with the guy and will probably do more stuff with him!

The mouse Bosse is a guy that some of you might have seen before, he usually lives in a toadstool house that I’ve posted here some year ago. Made some upgrades to him with new fur using the new hair system, better pants and rig.

The fire is a volumetric shader with some noises which is fully animatable a looks quite nice. So I’ve actually been trying to make a short looped clip with this, but I’m struggling with a buggy compositor loosing frames here and there for weird reasons. Might have a look at it again soon, but will probably prioritize the BTS for this first since I guess some of you might be more interested in that :slight_smile:

This is just for thumbnail ^^

80 Likes

Brilliant !

The result is amazing, really cool mood and the geometry is awesome too, I thought this forest was sculpted !

I’m quite curious about how you pulled these mushrooms out ! Any hints of information would be definitely very valuable !

Congrats and looking forward to see more cool stuff from you !

2 Likes

Thank you!
Basically the mushrooms stems are several curves with a thick profile that’s twisted around each other and then noise and voronoi as displacement, and the caps are spheres with displacement for the top and curves with a very thin profile for the gills on the underside. Will try to record some explanation for it tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

awesome ! sounds really interesting !
I was wondering if they was made of only one mesh, or it’s a bunch of them but something ( I guess SSS) that make look them part of the same object…

It’s really impressive and I really dig the natural feel you get !

Thanks for providing these information !

It’s one mesh, but different shells. If you use Christensen-Burley as subsurface method in your shader it will make the SSS look like they’re one single shell.

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

2 Likes

That’s great compositioning and storytelling!

1 Like

Thank you!

@bartv Nicey nice ^^

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Nice mood, to the extent I forget this has anything to do with Blender.

1 Like

Guess that’s a good thing, so thanks! ^^

you are a real professional artist! i give you that.

1 Like

So athmospheric/authentic. :+1:

1 Like

I saw your work in progress on Erindales discord server! I loved seeing the updates, and the final work is beautiful! Well done and well worth being featured.

1 Like

Thank you guys! Appreciate it :slight_smile:

1 Like