Music Video - 'Affliction' by Alex and Tokyo Rose

Hey there, I’m a long time Blender user (and lurker of these forums), and thought I’d post about an animated music video that I completed which came out today.

It’s my first animation project of this length, and I decided rather than go with Cycles for rendering, I’d attempt the whole thing with EEVEE. Needless to say I had to deal with frequent crashes as the software was still in Alpha when I began, but as Blender 2.8 started getting more stable it was a pure joy to work with EEVEE to see how I could get the most out of it. I was able to render the whole thing on my machine rather quickly instead of sending files off to a render farm and wait for them. Naturally, I had to make concessions based around EEVEE’s limitations, but overall I’m pleased with how things went. I did some post processing in After Effects, but the brunt of the work was done in Blender.

As for addons, the notable one I used was Animation Nodes for one shot. I wanted to utilize it more but I was running out of time and I needed more practice with it, so I went with some combination of modifiers and procedural shaders to achieve a couple of those mograph like effects.

In any case, I hope some of you like what you see. Cheers!

2 Likes

I have to say… this is really awesome work! It’s like a mini movie and very well done.

1 Like

Thank you!