Mutil Layered PSD for Motion Design

Hi guys!

So… Basically i’m a Motion Designer that uses After Effects and was wondering about doing some of the things in Blender instead, since i’ve been using blender for 3D assets for a long time now. A lot of what i do comes from an art director that gives me a PSD file with all the elements i need to animate, so i import it on After Effects and make the videos.

I’m trying to do the same thing in Blender, but i can’t seem to find a way to import the PSD with layers to it. Is there a way?

A work around would be exporting every layer as PNG and import it as plane, but that’s annoying and takes a while when you’re talking about 50 layers project or so…

Does anyone have any idea how could i do it?

Thanks!

I do dimly real that Blender can support PSD but not layers IIRC. Perhaps theres a simple free app for converting to multilayer EXR? Like this plugin for Photoshop https://www.exr-io.com I guess you would have to bake down any effects per layer though.

Then it depends on the sort of work you want to do with it. In 3D view you would import a plane with the material I guess and swap between layers you need, while in the compositor you would need to add the EXR and extract its layers. The latter is better for blend types as the 3D view doesn’t really support layer blends, theres only transparency and emission.